Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin direct: raised or fire ring?

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
Grilling a pork loin direct in a few minutes. Do you guys go felt level or fire ring?

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yes
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes
    Ha! Trust the experts. I'm still a newbie here but pork loin has become one of my favorite things to cook. Just did two last night, indirect with just some rub. Apple wood for smoke. They will go surprisingly fast so be ready to monitor temp and pull before they get overcooked. I pulled these at about 150 internal. But sliced them thin and been eating  sandwiches three meals in a row now, delicious! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    raised
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Raised indirect
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Loin indirect. Tenderloin direct. Either way is great. I like to brine the loins.  Rub and go with the tenders.  I do truss them together for uniformity of the cook. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Look at it this way, BGE sells the egg with a fire ring and a grid. Period. Must be a way to do direct cooks with the grid down low, eh? But some guys prefer to raise the grid and still cook direct. Still others like indirect cooks with a platesetter or adjustable rig.

For raised direct vs not raised direct, what matters is the distance between the lump and the grid. If you raise the grid, use more lump. If you do not raise the grid, use less. Just pay attention to the distance.

So, as Darby said, "yes". Pretty much any way you want to cook, it'll be fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Porky pig says: 'amember kids, Loins and tenderloins are t-t-t-t-two di-di-di-di-different things

personally i do loins indirect (that'd be a roast-like approach), and tenderloins direct or maybe raised direct, depending on whether my BGE is semi-blazing or blazing
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    WHOOPS, looks like I've been calling tenderloins loins for years. Did tenderloin tonight, 350-395 for 40 minutes, direct, raised. Came out killer.