Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who Likes Flap Steak

Options
One of my favorites.  Hot & Spicy marinade.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I like flap steak, and I like the above!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Doc,
    I ordered a case a month ago and finished it up on Sunday. Don't go tellin' people about it. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    always love those steaks, called newengland tips here. getting pricey lately, people must be finding out about them =) pretty much a new england staple growing up, took my whole life before i realized you cut them down the length for tenderness instead of lopping off pieces from the end. every butcher here has them in marinade in the case
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Love the flap meat.

We have a butcher in St. Louis that is from the New England area.  He has one of the vacuum tumbling machines and makes about 6 different varieties.  They're great over salads or for stir fry. 
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Looks like skirt to me... but a quick google says they are different. Other than a different part of the cow, are they similar?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    HellrodKC said:
    Looks like skirt to me... but a quick google says they are different. Other than a different part of the cow, are they similar?
    bottom sirloin above the tri tip, descent flavor, a little chewey if served too rare, mostly marinated here as tips for kabobs but sold as steaks. usually cut thicker than the ops. grain goes somewhat sideways. i think someplaces call it fake hanger
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Just had Flap for the first time here visiting San Diego. Went to Whole Foods for Fajita or Skirt which they didn't have. Only Flap. Marinated in Lime Juice, EVOO S/P and a touch of Cumin for Quesadillas. 

Cooked on a Gasser about 5 minutes per side to 135 plus. Was a juicy MR and worked out great. 

The entire cut was as thick as the thick end of a Skirt. Will buy again but don't see it in the Atlanta market. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    We love Flap steaks.  I just bought a cryovac package (about 18 pounds) at Restaurant Depot for around $5.50/pound.  Didn't have to do any work, just opened the cryovac and the steak was all in strips.  Just popped them in foodsaver bags.  I have had them marinated and without and they are always good.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    We love 'em!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia