Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - SRF Black Briskets on Sale

Options

Comments

• SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Did instant message on your SRF site and she told me I would have to cancel my order and place new order if I wanted to add more items.
    I meant IM me here and I'll take care of you personally
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @SRFShane. Ordered some prime steaks and was hoping to see Cap of Ribeye. I'll be ordering early Thursday am. 
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Thanks for the heads up @SRFShane. Ordered some prime steaks and was hoping to see Cap of Ribeye. I'll be ordering early Thursday am. 
    You bet.  I'd check late Wednesday night if you're looking for CAP - we only have a few left, so they're going to go quick.  I'm planning on putting them live around 10PM MST.  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @HeavyG there is a lot more disappointment waiting in a brisket flat. Find a reasonable packer and a day to cook it and there's enough help here to make you look like a hero!

@srfshane thanks for the info, I'm still looking forward to cooking one of those briskets!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    No argument that SRF Briskets are awesome. Just my 2 cents: I'd recommend burnt ends. I did one and didn't do burnt ends and wish I had. While still a superior taste, I think the point could have benefited from a longer cook. Also, start probing at 180-185.. they get tender faster than other briskets. 

Below looks a little fatty but it just sort of melted in your mouth. very tasty! 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Raymont said:
    No argument that SRF Briskets are awesome. Just my 2 cents: I'd recommend burnt ends. I did one and didn't do burnt ends and wish I had. While still a superior taste, I think the point could have benefited from a longer cook. Also, start probing at 180-185.. they get tender faster than other briskets. 

Below looks a little fatty but it just sort of melted in your mouth. very tasty! 

I disagree with the 180-185 doneness. I usually have to 205-210 before they probe tender.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Brisket virgin here.

Having never cooked a brisket would it be wiser to just start with what I can buy locally  from either my butcher or RD or would I be more likely to get a better result by starting with a better hunk of meat like one of these SRF's?

Brother Heavy, if you need a little assistance cooking brisket, there are several folks here that will be more than glad to help in any way that we can. Myself as well as others are open to taking phone calls while the cook is in progress. One of us can no doubt talk you right through it step by step. And will be glad to do so. You can certainly call me anytime. My name is Scottie. My number is 1-800-fukk-aliberal  ;)
    I could not resist that^^^^^^^.
    My real number is 228-627-5400. Call anytime. I will be more than glad to offer anything that I can. And that goes for anyone reading this. If I can ever help or offer assistance, just call or text. I will gladly offer what I can. Just don't call me about any diet or weight watcher crap =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Raymont said:

I had the exact same experience!  The point either needed to render longer or become burnt ends.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    I need to get calibrated I guess.  I find the point to be pure deliciousness-I do not think I am capable of cubing and tossing that hunk of beef back on a BGE for a burnt ends treat.  I may need to ease my way into the deep end, sacrificing a prime point for the first test.  Regardless, can't beat a brisket cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I need to get calibrated I guess.  I find the point to be pure deliciousness-I do not think I am capable of cubing and tossing that hunk of beef back on a BGE for a burnt ends treat.  I may need to ease my way into the deep end, sacrificing a prime point for the first test.  Regardless, can't beat a brisket cook.
    Or render it better.  My gold brisket probed at 185.  The point would've loved 195.  Learning curve for me brother.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @bgebrent -  I don't believe you can render it better given the cook is driven by the flat finish-line.  That sets the end-game for the cook.  I may have an inadvertent work-around in that the briskets I cook are initially too long for the LBGE.  I end up laying them over a brick (about 1 3/4" square and the majority of point is the elevated portion) for around 3-4 hours, thus getting more reflective heat.  
    Then I remove the brick when shrinkage has done its thing.  A new brisket cook approach?  Who knows-makes sense for me but that's not much of a hurdle to clear  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Raymont said:

I disagree with the 180-185 doneness. I usually have to 205-210 before they probe tender.

You cook SRF brisket to 210? I find that hard to believe.. Maybe choice or prime.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Raymont said:

You cook SRF brisket to 210? I find that hard to believe.. Maybe choice or prime.
    A gold brisket, butter at 185, period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SGH said:
    HeavyG said:
    Brisket virgin here.

Having never cooked a brisket would it be wiser to just start with what I can buy locally  from either my butcher or RD or would I be more likely to get a better result by starting with a better hunk of meat like one of these SRF's?

Brother Heavy, if you need a little assistance cooking brisket, there are several folks here that will be more than glad to help in any way that we can. Myself as well as others are open to taking phone calls while the cook is in progress. One of us can no doubt talk you right through it step by step. And will be glad to do so. You can certainly call me anytime. My name is Scottie. My number is 1-800-fukk-aliberal  ;)
    I could not resist that^^^^^^^.
    My real number is 228-627-5400. Call anytime. I will be more than glad to offer anything that I can. And that goes for anyone reading this. If I can ever help or offer assistance, just call or text. I will gladly offer what I can. Just don't call me about any diet or weight watcher crap =)
     One of these days I'll step up to the plate and take on a brisket. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind.

Just a little dissapointed that your real number doesn't translate to "
    fukaliberl" which could be (385)254-2375.

Might check with your cell provider and see if that number is still available. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent -  I don't believe you can render it better given the cook is driven by the flat finish-line.  That sets the end-game for the cook.  I may have an inadvertent work-around in that the briskets I cook are initially too long for the LBGE.  I end up laying them over a brick (about 1 3/4" square and the majority of point is the elevated portion) for around 3-4 hours, thus getting more reflective heat.  
    Then I remove the brick when shrinkage has done its thing.  A new brisket cook approach?  Who knows-makes sense for me but that's not much of a hurdle to clear  ;)
    Interesting approach that makes sense for sure.  The SRF gold brisket I cooked needed more time or your work around.  Don't get me wrong, it was a show stopper for me, my fellow eaters preferred the flat over the point.  I loved the point because of its fat content.  It would have been better had it cooked longer.  Not the flat.  I'll take your advice to heart and give it a go next time brother.  Thanks for the thought!
  • smokeyw
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Raymont said:

Never less than 205 internal temp and usually higher. All I cook now is SRF black grade. Our KCBS team is currently ranked 27th in brisket out of 2,080 teams nationwide who have competed in the same number of competitions as us.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Oh snap!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• smokeyw
    Options
    There is an interesting thread in the BBQ Brethren competition page right now about people having to take the SRF briskets to a higher temp to get the texture right.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Focker said:
    Oh snap!
    Hard to argue with @smokeyw.
    But everyone's taste is different and preference is different.
    There is also the "one bite wonder" way of cooking food for a bbq judge or competition. Many people who cook food for competition will also tell you they cook differently for themselves, friends and family who are going to eat a meals worth of food.
    Kinda like my only visit to Carrabba's. My first bite was fantastic. By the 5-6 bite I was done. So much salt and butter I could not choke down any more.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Just ordered. Thanks Shane
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is an interesting DDD recipe I found:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kansas-city-style-burnt-ends-recipe.html#lightbox-recipe-video

A little different than what I think of as the traditional burnt end methods. He separates the point after the flat is around 170-185, applies more rub only to the bare patch, then puts the point back on and takes it up to 200.  He only cubes it up after it has finished and rested. The only sauce he applies is the au jus with a little more rub (according to the video, the recipe below the vid doesn't mention this). It seems this might be a little less blasphemous to brisket purist because he isn't pre-cubing them and coating them in sauce or anything. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smokeyw
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    Oh snap!
    There is also the "one bite wonder" way of cooking food for a bbq judge or competition. Many people who cook food for competition will also tell you they cook differently for themselves, friends and family who are going to eat a meals worth of food.
    Kinda like my only visit to Carrabba's. My first bite was fantastic. By the 5-6 bite I was done. So much salt and butter I could not choke down any more.

You are right that competition food is typically different in that you are trying to impress the judge with one bite. And you are also correct that we don't cook at home like we do for a competition. I don't inject at home, and I don't season the same way. But the one thing that is common, at least in my cooking, is the tenderness. I don't worry about the internal temp after a certain point. It is all by the feel when I probe it. It is not uncommon for me to probe it 6 or 8 times before I am satisfied and I pull it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    Oh snap!

You are right that competition food is typically different in that you are trying to impress the judge with one bite. And you are also correct that we don't cook at home like we do for a competition. I don't inject at home, and I don't season the same way. But the one thing that is common, at least in my cooking, is the tenderness. I don't worry about the internal temp after a certain point. It is all by the feel when I probe it. It is not uncommon for me to probe it 6 or 8 times before I am satisfied and I pull it.
    Agreed.  An undercooked or overcooked brisket won't bring home the hardware.  And also agree about comp flavor profiles, or lack thereof.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thanks Shane, I got mine. It will be a great labor day!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My 2 came in. They look pretty damn awesome from what i can see through the cryo. Can't lie, I was a little disappointed in the thickness of the flat, but oh well, I'm sure it will be great regardless.

@smokeyw so you never pull until at least above 200? I'm just curious because you hear so many talk about the lower IT for the SRF. Not questioning you in the least bit, just trying to plan for good results on the first SRF. I guess it always goes back to the feel test in the end.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @SRFshane thanks mucho for the heads up.  I just ordered four.....
  • smokeyw
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    My 2 came in. They look pretty damn awesome from what i can see through the cryo. Can't lie, I was a little disappointed in the thickness of the flat, but oh well, I'm sure it will be great regardless.

@smokeyw so you never pull until at least above 200? I'm just curious because you hear so many talk about the lower IT for the SRF. Not questioning you in the least bit, just trying to plan for good results on the first SRF. I guess it always goes back to the feel test in the end.

They are always above 200 but honestly, I don't rely on temperature. I always cook until they probe like I want. If you use temp as a base and then wait until it probes tender you should be good. FYI, they will sometimes probe differently in different spots, even in the flat. I wait until all of the flat probes tender.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    Hey guys - yup, still some briskets left (14-16, 16-18 and 20+).  

If you've already ordered something this week, then see something else you want, drop me an IM and I'll take care of the shipping for you.  (tagging @FATC1TY , @Gman2 , @ThrillSeeker ).  

BTW - deals for the rest of the week:  today is prime steaks.  Tomorrow is sirloins.  Thursday is a mish-mash, including tips and tails, cap of ribeye and corned beef.  Friday is 10% off site-wide.  Shhh, don't tell anyone  B) 

Some SKU's we have a lot of inventory on, others are very limited.  
    Shane,

thanks for for the heads up, I ordered two of the 16-18 this morning.  Can't wait!!!  Thanks again.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    smokeyw said:
    Raymont said:

Never less than 205 internal temp and usually higher. All I cook now is SRF black grade. Our KCBS team is currently ranked 27th in brisket out of 2,080 teams nationwide who have competed in the same number of competitions as us.
    Consider me schooled.  This is the first I have heard about 205 for SRF .... guess I shouldn't talk about something I have never cooked.

Thank you for taking the time to provide context to your recommendation. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This was 184. SRF Gold wet aged in the bag for three weeks.