Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Results....

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just pulled the pork off the cooker a few minutes ago with a reading of 196º.....pulled like a dream, the blade bone slide out with NO effort.....
I`m making the Carolina Red and the Memphis Magic to serve with the pulled pork......[p]Gfw, you were dead on with your time.
It was 17 hours at just under 200º, your 18 hour prediction would be right on as one more hour would have givin me the 200º...[p]Tastes great!!!!!![p]thank you all very much...
Putting some wings on the Egg now........Hey, why not, it`s at 300º..
Roger!

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mop, glad it turned out, but then you are becomming a real BGE chef - my 3 favorites from the egg - ribs, wings and pulled pork![p]

• Schneid
    Options
    Mop,
    I have been tossing everything that does not move on my new BGE---feel ready to consider a Butt.
    What poundage did you use? Did you have to add more charcoal and/or wood chips over the 17 hour cook? Did you stay close to egg through the cook or could you go to work, leave the pad for awhile?
    Anticipating my first Butt while watching more great football.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Schneid, It was a 7 pound pork butt, blade bone in!
    I put in a full 8.8 pound bag of lump which took me to 2 or 3 inches above the top of the firebox!
    No Wood!
    I stayed relitivly close to the Egg in that I stayed home.
    Once the temp had been established it held all night and into today no trouble, and it was really cold here today...
    Try it.....[p]Mop![p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Schneid,
    Like Mop stated, you should not have to add additional lump for the entire cook. At 250 dome, a full firebox on the large will go for over 20 hours, and not uncommon to get 30 hours when filled into the fire ring area. Once your fire is stabilized after a couple hours, you can leave or go to sleep for 10 hours or more, and it will likely remain at 250...or thereabouts. even in the dead of winter.[p]Most boston butts seem to be in the 4 to 9 pound range. Figure about a 40% drop in weight after cooking, and plan accordingly. Leftovers are great for sammiches, and also is the world's greatest pizza topping. So might as well cook a big one! Have fun![p]happy new year
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ