Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What all can you use the spider for on the egg?

Options
I have an XL. Just recently got the spider/wok set up, but know there has to be other great uses for the spidey. What yall got?

Comments

• ThrillSeeker
    Options

I just got a spider and a pswoo for my large and I plan to use it primarily for searing steaks. 

My plan is to put a cast iron grate on the spider close to the lump, put my plate setter in the PS Woo and roast my steaks at 350 until they are within 15 degrees of my desired temp.

I'll remove the pswoo and the steaks, open the intake and exhaust until the grill hits 500 degrees and do a quick sear on both sides of the steaks a couple of inches away from the lump on the ci grate.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I also have the pswoo and a spider for my large.  My platesetter broke recently, so I bought an oval stone as a replacement.  I have used the spider to rest the stone on while using my Joetisserie, I have laid shish kebabs across the spider, and while I was visiting the CGS, Tom showed how the spider can be used to rest your grate on to grill just below the felt line.  I also use the grate from my small and sear steaks close to the coals..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    wok, searing down lower with less lump, indirect setups(i like this better than indirects up higher)  1200 degree pizza cooks =)

Image result for 1200 degree pizza fishlessman

Image result for 1200 degree pizza fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    these work in large or xl.

elevate a pizza stone into the dome, 3 leg spider on platesetter, separation between stone and platesetter, 13"-16" stone large, 17.5" stone xl

raise the cast iron grid up/off fire ring, easier access to the grid, great with burgers - anything you flip with a turner, grids about halfway between felt and top of fire ring.

hold a hot object off your table, saves the table finish, any object that is bigger than the spider's ring - 11.75" large, 14" xl 

set up indirect with stone for big cooks above, works with the adjustable rig, 13" stone large, 17.5" stone xl 

hold a half stone under a grid to go direct and indirect at the fire ring, two zone grilling/cooking, 15" stone large, 19" stone xl

drop a grid/skillet closer to the lump for searing

hold a wok, up or down...most prefer up in a large

No doubt I missed a couple.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • egginNthefreeworld
    Options

Dang guys, this place is the best!

• flyerdoc
    flyerdoc Posts: 141
    Options
    my spider is flat, purchased from CGS...its the older 5 legged type that fits my old Medium BGE...really have not found a use for it other than to hold me wok:

If anyone has any further suggestions for a flat spider I am all ears!