Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep dish pizza

Options
bosco0633
bosco0633 Posts: 383
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
so I have spent the past week researching and learning how to make deep dish.  I have learned that Chicago has various pizza styles ie thin crust, deep dish and stuffed crust.  

I have finally perfected my sauce and it is where I want it to be.  My bread making adventure last year has taught me more about dough and this Chicago dough was pretty darn good.  

I strayed from from the traditional Chicago style a bit and didn't do the sausage layer.  I added my favourite topping combo.  Pepperoni, mushroom, green olive, hot peppers.  

Onto the Kamado at 450 degrees for 45 min.  

I can can say for certain that this is the best thing that I have ever cooked since I started cooking 5 years ago.  

I wish i sh I had my better camera out for these shots but the iPhone will have to do for now.  Can't wait to do this again.  

Next time i will pre cook my mushrooms and dry the olives and peppers better to prevent the juices from pooling 

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Looks pretty F'N good from here... I'd hit it!
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Holy.  Lord.   That's definitely in the running for best looking pizza I've seen on here .  Is that just a regular 2" deep pan?
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • bosco0633
    Options
    I have spent the entire week reading on the perfect pan. I went to bed bath and beyond today and decided that I do not need a huge pan.  I went with a 9" Chicago metallic non stick with 2" depth. It's more than enough for my wife and I.  The kids won't eat that as they prefer regular style pizza.  I will return the 14" pan I ordered once it arrives.  
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    Yep, I have the 12" version of the pan but haven't used it in a year.   I need to.   What's your sauce prep?   It looks good.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Great looking pie! Same pan I use. Perfect. Did you use the realdeepdish.com dough? Looks like it. From a bag of flour to eating pizza in under two hours.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167656/how-to-make-authentic-chicago-deep-dish-pizza-in-two-hours-or-less/p1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Damn that looks amazing!  Awesome job!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bosco0633
    Options
    yes I got the dough recipe from that site.  very informative site.  
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    very very nice, you always post great looking food.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That is one big slice of deliciousness right there. Congrats on making that time and effort leading up to this pay off.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Pie looks incredible.  I have had good luck with a cast iron skillet but wanted a deep dish pan.  Used it once and crust stuck terribly to it and was very hard.  I oiled it liberally with corn oil before putting in the crust. Any secrets to avoid the sticking?  It is dark pan that looks simar to yours.
    XL BGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,542
    Options
    Wow.....Wow.....Wow!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bosco0633
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    Pie looks incredible.  I have had good luck with a cast iron skillet but wanted a deep dish pan.  Used it once and crust stuck terribly to it and was very hard.  I oiled it liberally with corn oil before putting in the crust. Any secrets to avoid the sticking?  It is dark pan that looks simar to yours.
    I purchased the 9" non stick cake pan by Chicago Metallic.  I got it at bed bath and beyond.  I hit it with a bit of non stick spray and it slid right out no effort
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    That looks really good.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
     /bow

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Damn fine looking deep dish Za!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Side note...how much were you sweating it to not eff it up when removing it from the pan? :wink: 
    You prefer this specific pan over say a favorite CI pan?  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Very, very, nice.  I'd say you nailed that.  I too wonder about using a CI skillet.

Phoenix 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    It's funny that you ask that question husker. I wondered about it and screwing everything up by breaking it or having everything fall out.  

I I watched a YouTube video and the guy jammed a spatula in the side and got up under it. So I did that and had the pan lifted on its side and it popped right out no issue of cracks. 

Mia's for this pan over cast.  I have been reading all week and although their seem to be some that like cast, true Chicago style fans prefer the aluminum pans.  I really like the non stick coating and I didn't really need to do much else to it.  

I think for now this pan is my go to.  I may get one more so I can make two at a time next time or if we have company.  I may spring for a 12" in the future but the 14" I ordered is far too big for what I need.   
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

Great looking pie @bosco0633

You knocked that one out of the park!

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    that is fantastic!
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • kbr718
    kbr718 Posts: 74
    Options
    You have this Chicagoan smiling!
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    That looks wonderful.  Thanks for posting!
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Yum-O-
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,060
    Options
    Too pretty too eat!  Better give it to me!
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Thanks everyone much appreciated.   I can't wait to make my next batch 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    Now that is a thing of beauty!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Mama Mia....nice pie.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    Options
    MOUTH WATERING!!!  =)
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • bosco0633
    Options
    Yep, I have the 12" version of the pan but haven't used it in a year.   I need to.   What's your sauce prep?   It looks good.
    Sorry I must have missed this.   

I use 2 680 ml jars of tomato purée.  I think that works out to 45oz

1 tbsp of garlic powder
    1 tbsp dry basil
    1 tbsp marjoram
    1 tbsp dry oregeno
    1 tbsp ground thyme
    1 tsp to 1 tbsp of cracked pepper.  Depends what you like 
    1.5 tsp sea salt 

This did one deep dish and two 14" pizzas. 

If if you want to do less get one jar or purée 15oz. 

1 tsp of each above 
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp to 1.5 tsp of pepper to your liking.  

Mix id and bring to boil then simmer until thick.