Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a smaller brisket!

Options
I've got a large BGE and want to smoke a brisket. The obstacle has been that they are huge. I've been shopping at HEB, Costco, and even Walmart. I want a 10-12 pounder. Does anyone have a source for the smaller ones? I'm even thinking of checking the halal meat markets. I live in Pflugerville, so Williamson ought to be included in any suggestions.

Comments

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    HEB near the outlets in Round Rock has good variety. Maybe Sprouts in Round Rock as well. WalMarts have a ton and like you said they tend to be bigger. I haven't got 1 from WalMart, they gross me out for some reason and i havent even tried them.
    Austin, Tx
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Some might say you need a bigger egg...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wrap a brick in tin foil.  Let the brisket drape over the brick until it shrinks to fit.  You should be able to fit a nice one in there.  

Plus, that helps prevent moisture pool that messes bark up.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    Options
    I wouldn't go Walmart. I just read a post the other day where people were hating on Walmart Briskets. I live out in Steiner Ranch and both HEBs carry 9-10pd briskets. But, if you can't find one small enough just use a brick wrapped in foil to sit under the middle of your brisket until it shrinks enough.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Not my picture, just off the interweb (possibly from here).  Shouldn't have an issue with upwards of 16lbs or more on a large.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I get my briskets from Sam's sometimes and they have some 12 pounds at time, but the brick wrapped in foil is the way to go.   I have an XL so I don't usually have this problem.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I wouldn't go Walmart. I just read a post the other day where people were hating on Walmart Briskets. I live out in Steiner Ranch and both HEBs carry 9-10pd briskets. But, if you can't find one small enough just use a brick wrapped in foil to sit under the middle of your brisket until it shrinks enough.
    You do understand these aren't "Walmart briskets", but cryo-vac'ed from Excel/Cargill foods, right?  

They aren't prime or waygu, but you have to make sure what you pick is nice and floppy.  Wet aging helps too and I feel wrapping after the stall helps retain moisture in choice briskets.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i did an 18 lber my last cook it fit fine
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I know that my large will fit a brisket the length of my elbow to my finger tips, so that is my measuring stick when I am picking out a brisket to cook.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I get my briskets from Sam's sometimes and they have some 12 pounds at time, but the brick wrapped in foil is the way to go.   I have an XL so I don't usually have this problem.
    How are the Sam's briskets?   My Costco in Atlanta said to check them out for full briskets... 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Could also cut off the desired amount from a larger brisket and grind for burgers.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I got a little runty 8 lber from Costco last time

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    How are the Sam's briskets?   My Costco in Atlanta said to check them out for full briskets... 
    @GoooDawgs I have had pretty good luck with Sam's briskets. I am also in GA so our choices are limited. The briskets from Sam's are Excel brand Angus.  That is the only difference I can see between Sam's and Walmart briskets is the Sam's briskeys have Angus stamped on them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I also once cooked an 18 pounder and had no problems.  I didn't have any bricks handy so I put in my V rack and draped it over that. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Shiff said:
    I also once cooked an 18 pounder and had no problems.  I didn't have any bricks handy so I put in my V rack and draped it over that. 
    Let me rephrase by saying anything you can find to drape the brisket over will work. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Regardless of the draping apparatus (or jamming hit on) once shrinkage takes over I have had 16+ lb briskets eventually fit flat.  Just make sure to foil protect any part that overhangs your heat deflector throughout the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    be fortunate you have this problem, I can't even find a packer brisket anywhere around my neck of the woods in Connecticut

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    buy a whole packer and separate the deckle or point from the flat...cook them at different times...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Bart1434 said:
    be fortunate you have this problem, I can't even find a packer brisket anywhere around my neck of the woods in Connecticut
    Bart try your local grocery store. I asked at stop and shop the other day, they said they would sell it whole. 
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    thanks @eggscuses luckily I just joined KCBS and am able to use a 1 day pass to RD, when I tried asking the local butcher @ Costco here in town the guy looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    16-18 lbs usually work just fine after trimming. On the rare occasion that I get one that's too long, I cut of 4-5 inches off the flat and brine that to make corned beef
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker