Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen worth it?

Options
13»

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I love my TP and don't regret it one bit.  That being said, if it dies and I have to replace it I will probably give the javelin a try for $25.  I have heard enough good things about them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Thermoworks Thermapen &/or Thermopop
    I have 2 Thermapens & 1 Thermopop. One TP dedicated for work. If money is tight the Thermopop is legit at a lower cost and is just as accurate. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mclayborn79
    Options
    Thermopop! Paid $22 takes a couple seconds longer. 
  • BBQbutler
    Options
    Love Mine!! ( 4 years old now )     Just bought one for my dad for fathers day ( as he was a new egger) -- then he bought me my first Egg
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I rarely cook anything where I don't use my Thermopen. 

No more guessing and regretting.

I say, "Go for it!"

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Just got an email that they've released a faster thermopop - 3-4 seconds for $29, that is a great deal.

It's even cheaper, $24 each if you buy 5 or more.  That's what I did when I got mine, they make great gifts, I gave away 3 or 4 and have 1 in our camping supplies and 2 in the house.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love mine!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I just received an email about a faster thermopop. I have no regrets on my pen, but right now I would go thermopop. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I love my thermapen, but recently it will randomly not display the temp even seconds after opening.  Kind of like a combination of dead battery and/or bad contact.  But I have replaced the battery, so I know that is not it. 75% of the time it works - it is that other 25% that kills me. ... But not enough to send it back and be without it a few days. 

Got the same email on the thermapops.  I am thinking of getting several thermapops as gifts for my team here at work and 1 or two for myself.  They are always asking how to cook different things (none of them cook even "okay") but are trying and learning. They are all really young.  That are not getting it when I say cook to temp, not time!   "But the recipe says 60 mins at 350F".....  Ugh.....
    Oldest is 26. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,355
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority - I hate my Thermopop and never use it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm thinking about buying one so I am curious to know why you hate yours. Thanks
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a couple of Thermopops and never use them, but that is only because I have 3 Thermapens. They are better than most other instant read thermometers I have seen.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I use a thermopop at my Dad's place. It is a nice piece for low cost. But the Thermopen I use is definately faster by a good margin.(limited edition burning lump graphic for fastest!) When I am reaching over a real hot fire that response seems worth it to me.

@CtTOPGUN ,
    I always wear my glove when taking temperatures so it gives me a little longer to get internal temperature without burning my hand.  I do use a thermapen but also have a thermopop and like both of them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Yes but I would probably get the thermapop if mine died....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,355
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    HeavyG said:
    I'm thinking about buying one so I am curious to know why you hate yours. Thanks
    I've had a couple Thermapens for a decade. When the Thermopop came out I bought one mainly out of curiosity.

Perhaps it was because I was just too used to my Thermapens but I found the Thermopop annoying to use:

-display too tiny for my senior citizen eyes without my reading glasses (probably not a problem for the young snots in the crowd)

- backlit display is too weak and not very useful to me. That may just be a problem for us older folks whose pupils don't dilate like they use to.

- rotating display annoys me. The way the LCD is set up the digits are not centered in the display face. The button to rotate the display is on the back side near the top of the head. I found it tricky to rotate the display with just one hand. Then you have to click it a few times to get it to rotate thru the various position to get to the one you need. To be fair the rotating display was of zero importance to me and with more use/practice perhaps it wouldn't have been so annoying to me.

- much prefer a folding probe type. Didn't like having to keep track of the little plastic sheath that slides over the probe so you don't impale yourself.

- not as comfortable to hold but then I guess the way most people would use this is to just stick in the meat and let it stand on its own. That's fine for big cuts of meat. Not so fine for a steak. Much prefer the shape of a Thermapen to hold onto.

- the button to switch between °F/°C is on the back side of the head not far from the display rotate button. I will concede that it is likely due to my not using the Thermopop much but I found myself hitting that button when I intended to rotate the display. On the other hand I disliked the rotating display so much that I quit trying to do that and it therefore became a non-problem. :)

When I use my instant read thermos I generally am using tongs to pick the steak/chop/breast/whatever up from the grill and then getting it away from the heat/smoke so I can probe it and read it in comfort. For large cuts of meat I just use the type of thermo where the probe is is the meat the whole time. I can see where the Thermopop would be useful for big cuts where it could stand on its own say to check the temps of multiple butts or the like.

As I said, I'm in the minority when it comes to opinions on the Thermopop. However, it does seem sturdy and since the latest models are a few seconds quicker it might be more appealing (tho for me the response time of the older units was not really a big deal).

In the $25 price range I really like the Lavatools Javelin. It's a folder and much smaller and more pocketable than a Thermapen or Thermapop. I've got a couple of those and like them much more than the Thermopop (did I mention I hate the Thermopop?).  :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Shiff said:
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I use a thermopop at my Dad's place. It is a nice piece for low cost. But the Thermopen I use is definately faster by a good margin.(limited edition burning lump graphic for fastest!) When I am reaching over a real hot fire that response seems worth it to me.

@CtTOPGUN ,
    I always wear my glove when taking temperatures so it gives me a little longer to get internal temperature without burning my hand.  I do use a thermapen but also have a thermopop and like both of them.

Yeah. I was not as picky at first. Now I am spoiled by the response times of the Thermapen. Any of my thoughts are subject to change with additional time/experience/info.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    NonaScott said:
    HeavyG said:
    I've had a couple Thermapens for a decade. When the Thermopop came out I bought one mainly out of curiosity.

Perhaps it was because I was just too used to my Thermapens but I found the Thermopop annoying to use:

-display too tiny for my senior citizen eyes without my reading glasses (probably not a problem for the young snots in the crowd)

- backlit display is too weak and not very useful to me. That may just be a problem for us older folks whose pupils don't dilate like they use to.

- rotating display annoys me. The way the LCD is set up the digits are not centered in the display face. The button to rotate the display is on the back side near the top of the head. I found it tricky to rotate the display with just one hand. Then you have to click it a few times to get it to rotate thru the various position to get to the one you need. To be fair the rotating display was of zero importance to me and with more use/practice perhaps it wouldn't have been so annoying to me.

- much prefer a folding probe type. Didn't like having to keep track of the little plastic sheath that slides over the probe so you don't impale yourself.

- not as comfortable to hold but then I guess the way most people would use this is to just stick in the meat and let it stand on its own. That's fine for big cuts of meat. Not so fine for a steak. Much prefer the shape of a Thermapen to hold onto.

- the button to switch between °F/°C is on the back side of the head not far from the display rotate button. I will concede that it is likely due to my not using the Thermopop much but I found myself hitting that button when I intended to rotate the display. On the other hand I disliked the rotating display so much that I quit trying to do that and it therefore became a non-problem. :)

When I use my instant read thermos I generally am using tongs to pick the steak/chop/breast/whatever up from the grill and then getting it away from the heat/smoke so I can probe it and read it in comfort. For large cuts of meat I just use the type of thermo where the probe is is the meat the whole time. I can see where the Thermopop would be useful for big cuts where it could stand on its own say to check the temps of multiple butts or the like.

As I said, I'm in the minority when it comes to opinions on the Thermopop. However, it does seem sturdy and since the latest models are a few seconds quicker it might be more appealing (tho for me the response time of the older units was not really a big deal).

In the $25 price range I really like the Lavatools Javelin. It's a folder and much smaller and more pocketable than a Thermapen or Thermapop. I've got a couple of those and like them much more than the Thermopop (did I mention I hate the Thermopop?).  :)

Thank you for the details. Most of your issues will probably be issues for me too. I appreciate your response and will probably give the javelin a go to start with.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It is a fact, that if you take a walk through a hundred quality restaurant kitchens you will find, most likely, 100 Thermapens. They are popular because they work. I like the fact that you get a true instant read, within a second and don't have to wait 3 to 5 seconds for an accurate reading. On a hot grill that 3 seconds is a long time. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I love mine and use it anytime I cook (inside or out)
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/