Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Go Chu What?

Options
At the Chinese market shopping around for something different when I came across this.  
Gave it a little taste and thought it'd be a perfect quick marinade for sirloin tips.  Dropped by the local market and they had some choice flap meat for 6.99 / lb so I picked up a pack.

On the MM around 500 until they were done.

Amazing deliciousness from that little gochujang sauce

What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's the "new' Sriracha.  Good stuff there!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,503
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'd tried for years to duplicate, or at least come close, to the chicken dishes my local korean lunch spot serves, and it wasn't until I found this stuff that I figured it out.  It's fermented chilies (as a lot of korean veggies are) but includes fermented rice, which was the missing part for me (I think).  
    EDIT:  Mine comes as a paste in a tub, not a sauce.  

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,503
    Options
    Coulda swore I've seen that label on "one of those places" in Seoul, however...   =)

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    Botch said:
    Coulda swore I've seen that label on "one of those places" in Seoul, however...   =)
     =) I might have bought it subliminally...

John Central CT
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I love gochujang -- first used it just within the past year, I think, but wow, that stuff is amazing!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I have been making my own and selling it for 11 years. 
    Is it really the new sriracha? 
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @hondabbq I'd love to try the stuff you make, is it a sauce or something like a blended kimchi style?   I have had somewhat chunky gochujang before.  I don't know what's in there, but this stuff was a bbq sauce consistency with some sugar obviously to help get some maillard action on a short cook

John Central CT
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I'm in.....looks good.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I lived in Zhanjigang for a year in 2010....but that was PE (Pre-egg).  I wish I had been introduced before I went to China....I would have stocked up !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    dopey said:
    @hondabbq I'd love to try the stuff you make, is it a sauce or something like a blended kimchi style?   I have had somewhat chunky gochujang before.  I don't know what's in there, but this stuff was a bbq sauce consistency with some sugar obviously to help get some maillard action on a short cook

Ours is a little on the thinner side. We call it "Korean BBQ Glaze/Stirfry"

Back when we started making it if you would have said gochujang you would have got a lot of looks and never sold a bottle.

A Japanese chef I was working for at the time made this sauce for an Asian rack of lamb. it was to die for but he wouldn't give me the recipe. He always made the sauce when we weren't around. I did a lot of searching on the internet and deduced it to that. We too a few recipes and tweaked it to suit our needs and started bottling it. It was and still is a popular one for us in our line up of sauces.

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I think this recipe was posted in a thread a few months ago - http://www.meatwave.com/blog/grilled-korean-flavored-cauliflower-recipe#jump - it includes a wonderful sauce that stars gochujang.  We've done the cauliflower recipe (pretty good), and also used the sauce from that recipe for chicken wings & breasts.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Did this tonight minus the skewers. Thanks for posting. Whole family loves it. Definitely a redo. 

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

I stopped by my local Fairway tonight to buy provisions for a cook tomorrow, and lo and behold there this was... Had to pick it up after just reading this thread yesterday! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey