Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti copies RTIC

Options
2»

Comments

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:
    I still cannot comprehend how it is that they have America brainwashed into paying $280 for a soft cooler that looks like it'll hold a 6 pack and a flat sandwich.
    I don't say this as a strike at Yeti because it's actually genius on their part. People are just stupid, plain and simple. Yeti is just capatilizing on this stupidity. Most folks are under the notion  that if something costs more, then it has to be better or superior. While I certainly agree to a extent with the ole adage "You get what you pay for",  its not 100% true across the board. Ford, Browning, Yeti, etc, etc, has capatilzed on people's stupidity for decades by selling them a inferior product at a higher price. You have to be intelligent enough to compare the products yourself and don't just jump on the higher price must be better bandwagon. The fact that people still fall for this tactic blows my mind. Yeti simply followed the model that Ford started over a century ago. Build a piece of crap, slap a exuberant price on it and watch the suckers and retards line up with their money in hand. 

Brother Todd, I may or may not be trolling above. You be the judge my friend ;)
    Found this to be interesting: http://nbc4i.com/2016/07/20/tumbler-smackdown-yeti-vs-ozark-mountain/

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    WeberWho said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    When I saw the email this AM I thought it looked like my Ozark Trail soft side.

(not my actual cooler- pic taken from internet, too lazy to go downstairs to get a pic)

@xfire_ATX Can I ask how much and your thoughts on it?

WeberWho said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    When I saw the email this AM I thought it looked like my O

@xfire_ATX Can I ask how much and your thoughts on it?
    @Weberwho    ... I think it was ~$60 or so, my Mom grabbed it for me somewhere in S MO so I dont know.

thoughts- Its better than all other Soft Sided coolers I have/had no doubt.  We have replaced two hard coolers with this one- smaller and same size.  Frankly its easier to carry vs the hard ones, not sure if it holds ice any better.  Like someone said earlier- its more than adequete, but for 4, 6, 8 hrs something else we all own likely works.
    I've scoured my local walmarts and even in Dallas on vacation for that very Ozark cooler, can't even be found on their website. I'm hoping they continue to produce them as it seems supply has been very limited. You are one of the lucky ones.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    @feef706.  I got lucky.  There weren't any in TX that I saw, my mom was going from ATX to St Louis so she checked along the way
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    @xfire_ATX I saw a Facebook post from New Braunfels TX showing them in stock a few months ago so I figured Texas was my best bet but it didn't happen, my sister in law who lives there even looked at several locations before we got there, she's convinced they don't exist, lol. Just hoping they show up, I cancelled my rtic in hopes of finding the Ozark for half the price.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I don't understand the need to overpay for something just because it has a fancy logo or famous name on it.  Nor do I mindlessly follow the mob mentality of buying something just because a bunch of people I never met say it's the greatest thing in the world. For all I know, you are all lousy cooks but great photographers, based on this obsession with 'pic or it didn't happen'. 
    I drink my beer out of the glass it was packaged in, which has always kept it cold until gone.  I've never had a need to keep my glass of iced tea cold for 48 hours. Forget all these fancy trends and overpriced products.  I use a styrofoam cooler. I keep a dozen or so in the garage and it doesn't bother me if I forget to bring it home. 
    The best styrofoam coolers I've found are the ones all the meat I buy from SRF's comes packaged in. They keep the stuff frozen during shipping.  I have no problem with the steaks going bad before I cook them in my Bluetooth/WiFi Anova sous vide before going on my Big Green Egg, filled with Rockwood lump, lit with a Loof lighter, using an Adjustable Rig from the CGS.  With the Kick Ash Basket and Smokeware cap, I don't need to pull out my BBQ Guru to control temp, as my Maverick wireless dual temp probes allow me to keep an eye on the temp from my family room. I know those Wagyu Ribeyes are done when my Thermoworks Mk4 tells me, and that Dizzy Pig seasoning gives them great flavor. And those 'Mangrates' are the best thing since sliced bread.