Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Branching out into Uncharted Waters on the Egg

Options
Sonny3
Sonny3 Posts: 455
edited August 2016 in EggHead Forum
SWMBO and I took at little excursion today.  We went to a newly opened shooting range and had a little fun.  I am trying to find just the right pistol for my wife as she has expressed interest in getting her Concealed Carry Permit.  Between the two of us; me with my pistols and she with 3 loaners we fired off about 150 rounds.  We had a great time.

On the way home I stopped at my favorite meat market which just happened to be in the vicinity (wink-wink) to pick up some rubs.  This particular market caters to the Egg community as they probably sell more eggs than any dealer in FL.

When you're there, you can't help but look at all of the Egg-cessories of course.  Seems that since the last time I was there they have added a pretty decent line of the CGS products.  The had the AR and many other goodies.  I am not sure about the AR for me yet..

But OH! Boy, the Woo2 for my XL and the monster 19" across, 8 inch deep WOK sure got my attention.  I have been seeing all of the posts lately about using the WOK and couldn't resist. I picked them both up for $76 and felt very good about the purchase.  I hate waiting for delivery from on-line orders anyway.  Too much of an instant gratification guy, I guess.

Also the son-in-law is a terrific Asian cook.  His mom is straight out of Japan and dad from the US.  They lived in Japan for years while his dad worked for the government.  I have seen pictures of the things he cooks when he posts them on FB. I sent him a picture of the WOK in place on the XL as soon as I got home and my phone rang 30 seconds later.  I told him that I bought it with him in mind as my teacher.  I am looking forward to learning to use it.  Just broadening my horizons with the versatility of the Egg.

Hopefully some awesome pics of good cooks are soon to follow.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Sonny3
    Options
    Well hells bells, the pic isn't showing and it won't let me load it again.  Says it had already been up loaded.  Maybe if I save it with a different name it will load.  Giving it a try.

Success.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Looks awesome, fun and tasty times ahead I imagine, I've yet to pick up a wok.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Sounds like a perfect day to me  B)
    Jacksonville FL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I can't wait to see the first cook. Have fun. Not all stir fries work out until your wok is well seasoned and you get the hang of things - just laugh and enjoy. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Sonny3
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I can't wait to see the first cook. Have fun. Not all stir fries work out until your wok is well seasoned and you get the hang of things - just laugh and enjoy. 
    I can use all the help I can get about the best way to season the WOK.  Having not ever owned one, I am not sure where to begin.  Cast iron would be another thing, but this one is steel.

Thanks
  • Sonny3
    Options
    @theyolksonyou, thank you for the video link.  Exactly what I need and a very simple process.  I will be firing up the XL this evening for sure.  Going to have to use the XL because the stove is a flat glass top electric and the WOK is round bottomed.

Thanks again,
    Sonny
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    How cool your SIL is a willing teacher!  Anxious to see the first cooks.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...