Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking BGE in!

Options
Schneid
Schneid Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have fired up my Egg every day but one since owning it. Steaks, burgers and brauts were to get accostumed to the general operation in practice for Christmas turkey. The bird was fantanstic and did not last past the 26th. Next bird will be 1/2 hour less under the hood---it was a 10 pound baby, did 3 hrs at 325-350 (18min/lb) I rubbed it and coated with olive oil. Bird came out black, but moist and delicious none-the-less. I also had a controlled study experiment with the bird---cut off half of the skin right down the middle. (A guest for dinner was convinced the skin should be off, so being a gracious host I offered the experiment) I preferred the skin-on side---the skin-off side had a 1/4in brown/black char on it like jerky, but deeper was equally moist.
Following the turkey experiment, did a Jamaican jerk chicken---with some great jerk marinade (In addition to the BGE, I got a Caribbean cook book). Next with a pork tenderloin with a side of baked beans also soaking up the hickory. I have not decided tonight's recipe---but will fire up BGE again, and drive the neighborhood crazy with yet another aroma.....

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    turkey2.jpg
    <p />Schneid,[p]I am curious about the black turkey. I do many (breasts only) and they come out brown but never black. The exception was my 1st attempt with one when I stuffed alot of oranges under the skin. The skin burn in that area I assume because the skin was pretty far from the meat because of the space created by the orange sections (I used sections rather than slices or orange). I always remove the skin before carving anyway so it didn't matter except on the picture I took of it. The others all came out like the one pictures which I did at 350-375 for 2.75hrs. As you can see I add a couple of firebricks under the drip pan. What setup do you use?[p]Tim
  • SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    Options
    Tim M,
    A dumb question. Why is the foil on the polder cable? I may have missed this in previous post.
    SloMo

• Schneid
    Options
    Tim M,
    The skin separtation may indeed be the culprit---in my experiment of removing half of the skin, the other half did become separated as I rubbed underneath. I also wonder if I was too liberal with my olive oil massage.
    For set up, I used the V-tray on top of fire bricks---I used the three BGE shoes that were included in the packaging that I don't need as shoes with the large egg stand.
    I so want to do another bird this weekend for another experiment. My wife is threatening to take my egg away....[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Schneid,
    Just the v-rack on fire bricks might explain your black skin. Sheilding the bird from the direct heat of the coals is important. This is a link to a picture Tim posted yesterday. It is a good illustration of plenty of indirect protection. Not sure if that explains your problem. Nt sure how much area your bricks covered.[p]happy new year
    NB[p]

[ul][li]Tim's indirect setup[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    man....time for me to go to bed. I just posted a link to a picture in the same thread.
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Schneid
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the info regarding fire bricks and their protection from the heat. The shoes that I used did nothing to layer from the direct heat---just elevated the V-rack. I thought the purpose was only to elevate the drippings so as not to burn them for gravy use. The shoes are the size of three fingers. Thanks you and thanks to Tim, bring on another bird!!!