Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating a tray of pulled pork????

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any tips on heating up the aluminum pan full of pulled pork tomorrow?
Should I spray anything over it to keep it moist?
Any help would be grand![p]Roger~

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mop, first hint - remove it from the foil pan and place it in a plastic bag - tomorrow, or when you want to eat it, put the bag (unsealed) in the microwave and nuke for about 5 minutes at 30% power - it will be as good as it was comming off the BGE :~][p]

• SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    Options
    Mop,
    From past eggperience, I personaly was not happy with nukeing pork to reheat. The best way I like is to cover the pan with foil (the foil helps keep meat moist) and heat in oven at 350*+/- (can also use Egg). With a large pan full you may need to stir once or twice. Not trying to step on any toes, just my opinion.
    SloMo[p]

• Gfw
    Options
    SloMo, no toes stepped on. The method originally came from JJ - I've used it very successfully many times over the past year for both pulled pork and pulled beef - did the oven thing and didn't like the results, but that's what this forum is all about - if something else works better for you, go for it - the best recipe is the one that we change to meet our personal taste - Happy New Year!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    SloMo,
    I have had pretty good results nuking, but I swear it changes the taste of it. Something about nuking meats creates a subtle off flavor....for me anyway. Still do it in a pinch though, but I am with you that it is better reheated cnventionally, as long as you preserve the moisture.[p]Happy new year to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    Options
    Gfw,
    Have a good New Year. Hear ya'll having a little weather up there. This is not exactly the "Sunny South" any more. Today's high of 40 is the highest expected for the next week with with some snow.
    SloMo

• Gfw
    Options
    SloMo, nice thing about a covered deck - today's six inch snow fall and sub-freezing temperatutes didn't bother my ribs (or the ones on the BGE) in the least - unfortunately, next month it's back to work - December has been nice! [p]

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mop:[p]If you are in a pinch for time, use the microwave. Place the pork (or as much as possible) in a microwave dish tightly sealed with plastic wrap. Nuke till hot.[p]But pulled pork is special . . . It takes a long time to produce that sweet savory meat. This method takes a little longer, but it is gentle on the meat and retains moisture.[p]Reheat tip: Place some hot water in a Pyrex glass pan and turn the oven to 500º. Once the water is boiling well, quickly place the butt in a glass container covered with foil in the oven on a rack above the water. After a couple of minutes adjust the oven to 300º to reheat. Using this steam method for pizza, butt, etc. seems to eliminate the normal drying experienced with oven reheating. I realize time and place may not allow this method, but if you have the time it is worth considering.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Thanks to both you and Slo Mo, I did not know that I have been doing it that wrong for all these 22+ years.
    JJ

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    JJ:[p]Forgive me JJ if I stepped on your toes, the microwave and I just do not agree with each other. I have tried to adapt it to my cooking but we just do not get along. I don't even like to heat hot dogs in them. That is one of the reasons I try to time the completion and pulling of pork just in time for supper!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Hey my friend, you did not step on my toes, but you did say that I was wrong with the way I reheated Q. I just stated that I glad you corrected me and my method of reheating Q.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    G'mornin JJ!
    SloMo, djm, and myself never said you were wrong, nor did we intend on correcting you. Just throwing out our opinions. And looking back at the posts, we all made it clear that it was just an opinon. That is what is great about this board....we can post what works best for us, and let the individual decide what works best for them. You'll notice differing opinions in most of the posts on this forum. Just look at all the different methods there are for cooking ribs.[p]The great thing is that any of the posted methods will work great. Let me be the first to say that your advice is always right on, and I am not alone in appreciating your presence here. Remember, this is a family, and each member has a method that works best for them.[p]Hapy new year!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ