Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hobart 1712 slicer

Options
Found a Hobart 1712 on craigslist, going to look at it today. I dont think it has a sharpener and the seller says it needs sharpening. I can tell the front stainless panel is a bit rusty (likely bleach cleaning solution) and the motor works fine. Is there anything i need to be wary of or any issues that would be hard to fix or I can drive the price down on? Thanks! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The sharpener isn't a deal breaker. A replacement will cost  $100+ or just have someone sharpen it for you for $12 every 5 years. One of the big issues is the blade. Any chips in the blade? The blade replacement itself is $150+ minimum. That can be a deal breaker. Make sure the blade is in good condition and can be resharpened. Listen to the motor and check to see if nothing is stripped/snapped/broken. Replacement parts can be incredibly expensive. I believe the 1712 is fully automatic? One is posted locally for $200 but the automatic portion has an issue. You might want to check on that if your slicer is fully automatic.

I just picked up a used Hobart last week for $70. Needs some TLC but should become a descent slicer after some work. Best of luck with your purchase!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Got some pics emailed, going tomorrow now instead. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Think hard about this. Do you really slice enough meat that you have to have this thing? I bought a huge old Globe and I almost never use it! Too heavy to easily move so it takes up counter space I can't really spare.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I can get it for 100 bucks. Isn't that reason enough?

• Carolina Q
    Options
    No. That's what I paid. Wish I hadn't. You have been warned. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I already know my wife will absolutely flip out times 1000 when I show up with it. I think im going to put it in a box and hide it in the storage unit until we move in the spring.

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I have a 1612 which is this ones brother but is not automatic. Problem is the motor is shot. The spindle for the blade was SUPER GUMMED up and I think they tried to run it and burned the windings up. I knew going in it might have issues. So now I have a slicer that won't spin and needs a new motor. The sell for about $100 on eBay. In my opinion for $100 I'd be all over it. If you get it and down the road want to sell it you can part it out on eBay and make your money back times 4. I would try lower and see where he will go. Good luck and let us know how it goes. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ask if you can use it on site before purchase.  I took a chub of bologna, super cheap, fed it to the guys dogs.  

Run it.  Feel it, should glide without a problem.  Listen to it, bad bearings or a shot motor will easily be heard.  Work your way down in thickness, make sure you have paper thin even cuts.  Check blade for gouges.  Check cord, plug connections.  Not having a sharpener is a good thing.  Often, operators oversharpened the knives, toasting the expensive blade.  Keep in mind replacement parts are not cheap.  Yours looks intact, blade is most critical.

Use is subjective to person, and circumstance.  You will get a POS at any retailer for that much.  Hobart is the real deal.  I put mine on a 90 dollar Craftsman engine cart with some 2x6s to raise it up.  

At 100, you could resell no prob if you find it troublesome.  Judging from your pics only, looks to be solid, with potential of cleaning up nice.

Good luck
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Firemanyz
    Options
    @milesvdustin  So what was the outcome??
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Its in the back of my jeep right now, 50 bucks got it in there. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Everything seems to work fine except the blade transmission. Its locked up tighter than tight. I have it soaking in some evsporust to free it up. Motor works great, makes a click noise when it comes to a stop. Needs a good cleaning and a polish and it should be good. Any idea what weight oil this takes in the gearbox? 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    And how should i go about polishing all this aluminum?

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Call these guys. http://www.oldhobartslicerparts.com/home.html

Also, you might find some helpful youtube videos.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Firemanyz
    Options
    Be careful on the above site. I had a friend that was burned by them. DONT run it with the hub locked up. I took the spindle apart and cleaned it in carb cleaner. Unbolt the bottom nut and tap the threaded part towards the top. Good luck and it sounds as if you got a great deal. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    Be careful on the above site. I had a friend that was burned by them. 
    Hmmm, I've never dealt with them, just told they were a good resource. Did your friend get bad advice or did he get stiffed with a purchase?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I know the 1/4 hp Hobart grinder i planned to restore, was ok with 85w-140 per a Hobart tech.  The Hobart gear oil is about $25 per qt plus shipping.  Same with their slicer lube, expensive a$$ mineral oil.  You don't need food grade, the case is nowhere near food.  Food grade silicone spray and grease would be a good pick up, but not necessary for the home.  Again, the guide and worm screw is nowhere near food.  You can find them locally.

Pull your Hobart manual off the net, and go from there.  

As for the polish, a stainless sink polish might work.  I didn't have to polish mine.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Mine could benefit from sanding some dings out of the various pieces. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Well its all broken down. Need about 100 bucks in new parts and a good polishing. Maybe a new knife, this one is carbon steel and its a bit rusty. Ill try to buff it out with some black emery compound, but if not i found a stainless blade for 120 bucks.