Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Ok ladies and gents. I have about 12 people coming over to swim in tomorrow. Was planning on doing ribs. Babies and spares. How many racks do you think I would need?  Thanks in advance. 
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74 I'd do one kind, easier to plan...unless you have multiple eggs.  BB have less meat, usually more costly, but take less time.  Spares are meatier, generally cheaper, but take longer.

12 adults?  If so, 1/2 rack per adult if male and maybe 1/3 rack for the ladies.  I'm assuming you'll have sides too so the half rack should do well.

If kids, save the ribs and get burgers and hotdogs.  They'll be more interested in the pool.

Assuming it's a blend of kids and adults, 6 racks only because they generally come in 3 packs at SAMS or Costco...plus you'll have lunch for Monday!

just my 0.02.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Thanks Red. That's what I was thinking. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    The one important thing is if you have leftovers then everyone had enough to eat. If you don't then they didn't. I always make more then I think I will need.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I do 1/3 a rack per person on babies and an extra rack JIC for every 10 ppl.  That seems to be the favorite with ladies. Do a couple of apps and you can stretch the meat that far. 

When I cook for the masses I steam mine in the oven for about 4 hours real low then all you have to do is get the grill about 450, coat with bbq sauce, and get the bottom a little crispy and caramelize the sauce. It saves grill space and the risk of a low and slow with 15-20 adults and kids waiting on food. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I would go 1/3-1/2 rack per person with sides 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit  I assume you wrap in foil with a small amount of liquid in the wrap?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I vote six - do a pan of smoked Mac n cheese as a side they go well together!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    You guys r awesome.  Thank y'all again. That's why this forum is so great.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Killit_and_Grillit  I assume you wrap in foil with a small amount of liquid in the wrap?
    I actually put them in large metal bins with grates at the bottom to keep them from touching the water. First a little water and some liquid smoke, then the grate then the ribs and foil the top. It allows them to rest on each other and makes for more room. (Just leave as much surface area exposed as possible)

375 for 30 minutes then down to 200 for another 3 and a half. 

I I do cover them in bacon grease before they go in. And after. Because...well, bacon. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN