Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone has grooves already, do I still need to space it/raise it?

Options
lahlooha
lahlooha Posts: 63
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys, 
I was gifted a pizza stone that is ribbed from the bottom, so it theoretically should already have an air gap between it and the place setter. Would I still need to raise it? or will this gap be enough?

The ribbed side is intended for use for cooking stuff other than pizza. Brand is ceramic chef.

thoughts?

BGE XL
36" Blackstone

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    IMO Yes, airflow is our friend. I believe you will burn the bottom with out a couple inches of space. I like to bake pizza a couple inches above the felt. Just my 2 cents...
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I would raise it, as I would with any stone, about 4" above the platesetter. Partly for the air gap to avoid burning the bottom of the pie, but also so the the higher temp up in the dome will cook the top of the pie.

It's only 1/2" thick though, so it may not last long in the egg anyway. Recommended is 5/8" or more. Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    last time I put a 1/2 stone in a 650* Egg, BAM! cracked right in half. 
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    I bake legs up grate then pizza que (raised 2 inches above felt)
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have not use ribbed ones in some time... Let us know how it feels....I mean works.
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ribbed for Za pleasure?  Hey it's FRIDAY!!!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lahlooha
    lahlooha Posts: 63
    Options
    Ribbed for Za pleasure?  Hey it's FRIDAY!!!

I can't say that I did t see that coming ;)
    But that's how they describe it on their website!

love the good spirit around here. 

And by by the way, in case you were wondering, the pizza was a **** disaster. 

BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    So what went wrong? We can probably help. Here's how I did mine - before I realized that the oven was just as good... and much easier.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    @Carolina Qdon't spoil it ,but yep a nice stone in an oven and the pizza is just as good. A whole lot easier.
    Seattle, WA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    My vote is to raise it, as the grooves in your stone can't move as much air as a 1/2" to 1" space between the two stones. You can use copper elbow fittings they come in different sizes and will give you a nice airspace with a stable pizza stone. 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    If you want easy try the Blackstone Pizza oven!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario