Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Trail Tumbler find...

Options
  Sorry if I am reposting this information, Walmart has both the Ozark Trail 20 ounce and 30 ounce in stock at my local Walmart in Lansing Michigan,  The 20 ounce is 7.74 each and the 30 ounce is 9.75 each.  I did a side-by-side comparison with the Ozark Trail 20 and the RTIC 20,  I filled them both to the top with ice and the lid on and set them outside yesterday in 85 degree weather in Michigan for 5 hours and they both had the same amount of ice left (about half)   When I bought the 8 20 ounce tumblers at Walmart the cashier said there must be  something going on with these I bet I have sold 100 of these in the last two days to which the cashier in the next aisle said so have I. 
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I watched one hold ice for two days earlier this year. Supposedly they are the same manufacturer only rebranded.
    Cooking on the coast
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    I watched one hold ice for two days earlier this year. Supposedly they are the same manufacturer only rebranded.

Rumor has it they may all be made at the same plant in China...
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    There is a video floating around the internet that tested Yeti VS some brand I forget VS Ozark.  

They measured the ice to fill them evenly, then measured the amount of liquid they could pour out at different intervals.  All three performed almost  identical over a period longer than 50 hours when the last ice melted.  Ozark actually barely won in the end.  The overall conclusion was they were identical holding a drink cold as far a a consumer is concerned.   

I have also had several friends that were couples that owned different brands and switched and used them at different times.  None of them said they could tell any difference in any of the brands.  

I got my yeti tumbler before the knockoffs were out.  I will get an Ozark if I end up needing another one.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I bought 10 last week of the 20 oz
    Boom
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    There is a video floating around the internet that tested Yeti VS some brand I forget VS Ozark.  

They measured the ice to fill them evenly, then measured the amount of liquid they could pour out at different intervals.  All three performed almost  identical over a period longer than 50 hours when the last ice melted.  Ozark actually barely won in the end.  The overall conclusion was they were identical holding a drink cold as far a a consumer is concerned.   

I have also had several friends that were couples that owned different brands and switched and used them at different times.  None of them said they could tell any difference in any of the brands.  

I got my yeti tumbler before the knockoffs were out.  I will get an Ozark if I end up needing another one.  
     Just to clarify and be clear these two tumblers set in direct sunlight for five hours the outside exterior of the Tumbler was so hot that you couldn't hold onto it, I am very impress  with both tumblers .
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    jak7028 said:

Just to clarify and be clear these two tumblers set in direct sunlight for five hours the outside exterior of the Tumbler was so hot that you couldn't hold onto it, I am very impress  with both tumblers .
    That happens to mine in when it sits in my car in the Texas heat right now.  The tumbler is so hot you can barely hold onto it, but the tea or water is so cold you can't drink it fast.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Stopped on the way home from work to get 2 of these today... A 20 and a 30.  The wife and I are excited to see if they are as good as everyone claims.  God knows I won't spring for the yeti, I'm cheap. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    ryantt said:
    God knows I won't spring for the yeti, I'm cheap. 
    No kidding! That's not being cheap, that's being not gullible.

You won't be disappointed in Ozark Trail.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I bought the Ozark trail. The cooler looks good for the price, too. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    So do these keep tea warm?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Grillmagic
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    My wife has used her 20 oz RTIC for her coffee and loves it, I assume the Ozark Trail would perform very similar to keep things hot/warm
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Yes they do. I'm told someone filed a lawsuit against Yeti for it. They were used to filling their coffee at home and drinking it on the drive to work. Apparently the lawsuit was because the Yeti kept the coffee from cooling and the person was unable to drink it on the way to work saying it was too hot.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    yljkt said:
    I bought the Ozark trail. The cooler looks good for the price, too. 

placed order yesterday for tan 20 and 65. now just to see how long before they arrive
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    ^not sure why my response is hin his text box

I ordered a 20 and 65 yesterday in tan
    Boom
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    EggNorth said:
    Yes they do. I'm told someone filed a lawsuit against Yeti for it. They were used to filling their coffee at home and drinking it on the drive to work. Apparently the lawsuit was because the Yeti kept the coffee from cooling and the person was unable to drink it on the way to work saying it was too hot.
    Looks like I won't have that problem, I checked today and none found.  I guess not for Canadians.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Yes, I looked at Walmart in Cambridge. (Probably saw you there). Nothing.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've looked in WalMart for them a few times. They are always sold out.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    They seem to put them in different places. In the same store. At the same time. I was just in WM this afternoon and I saw three different displays in three different departments.

Look online in "your" store. Should tell you whether available.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillmagic
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    They seem to put them in different places. In the same store. At the same time. I was just in WM this afternoon and I saw three different displays in three different departments.

Look online in "your" store. Should tell you whether available.
    I got mine in sporting goods, I have also seen them with the dishes. I found them on line here in Michigan at one of the 2 Walmarts in my area. I do believe you can order them also.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I don't see what the hate on Yeti is all about? I don't have any of the coolers as I have zero need for them, but I do have a few Yeti cups. Ok so another company came behind them with the same product for less.

How much was your first microwave when they came out? VCR? Cell Phone?

The reason we are here is we all bought the Cadillac of Kamados. The BGE. Why isn't anyone slagging on BGE about how expensive they are as compared to KJ, Akorn, or Vision.

Does the Yeti hate translate to the other Kamado style forums where they are all flaming us for buying the best of the best, the BGE, and are laughing all the way to the bank with their inexpensive cookers?

Not trying to start a rift on the thread but I just wonder if the thought process is a bit hypocritical.

Im sure all of us have succumbed to the "gullible" factor as pointed out earlier. Im sure all have drank the Kool Aid in some fashion.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hell I bought a pelican version... Supposed to be better than them... Mine sucks all ice gone in one night...$$wasted 

My yeti cup will hold ice for at least 24 hrs

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Hell I bought a pelican version... Supposed to be better than them... Mine sucks all ice gone in one night...$$wasted 

My yeti cup will hold ice for at least 24 hrs

who says the pelican is better? 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    hondabbq said:

I don't see what the hate on Yeti is all about? I don't have any of the coolers as I have zero need for them, but I do have a few Yeti cups. Ok so another company came behind them with the same product for less.

How much was your first microwave when they came out? VCR? Cell Phone?

The reason we are here is we all bought the Cadillac of Kamados. The BGE. Why isn't anyone slagging on BGE about how expensive they are as compared to KJ, Akorn, or Vision.

Does the Yeti hate translate to the other Kamado style forums where they are all flaming us for buying the best of the best, the BGE, and are laughing all the way to the bank with their inexpensive cookers?

Not trying to start a rift on the thread but I just wonder if the thought process is a bit hypocritical.

Im sure all of us have succumbed to the "gullible" factor as pointed out earlier. Im sure all have drank the Kool Aid in some fashion.

some slight differences though

The BGE is diff than other kamados. Building materials, patents, this forum, their lifetime warranty, their customer service, etc

And many do hate on BGE saying "just buy xx brand, it is just as good for 1/x the price." people absolutely talk about BGE and the cost and say it is not worth it

yeti, at least for these cups, are literally selling the exact same product made by sam 3rd party vendor for 3x-4x the cost

and your analogy about microwaves and vcrs and cell phones make zero sense. they would make sense if yeti evolved with their competitors or if their price adjusted to reflect their competitors. they have not and they do not

I own yeti products but I probably won't buy anymore. when they first launched they were doing something different and better so I could justify the cost. now their competitors have caught up or exceeded them (rtic for example has better warranty and more storage space with same build quality at half the price) and they are doing it at a drastically lower price point

so I am happy yeti pushed the market forward but as of now they do not offer anything to justify their premium except the name. and it is a large premium they charge for that

maybe one day they will do something innovative again. if and when they day comes I will consider yeti again
    Boom
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I bought 2-30 oz Member Mark tumblers from Sam's a few months ago for I think $16.99 and they have preformed great.  I have no need for a cooler that keeps ice for 5 days or more so I never thought about getting a Yeti cooler,  but I like the tumblers and liked paying a lot less for what seems to be the same product.  Some people like Yeti for the name and will pay the money that is fine, I won't when there is more reasonable option.  If their sales drop they will lower the price, but right now they are probably doing fine and don't see the need to.  The Ozark Trail I bet are like the one I bought since Sam's is Walmart on steroids, but easier to shop at IMO.  Waiting for the new Costco to get built and check it out.

@FanOfFanboys, is correct that people knock BGE because of the price and my wife was a skeptic till I cooked food on it and she doesn't complain about the price now. but she says no to another one right now.  My friends said the same thing till they had food cooked on it and they don't say much anymore.  I have looked at the competitors of the BGE and I didn't like them and it also came down to the service I get from my dealer that makes me like BGE over the others and this forum. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.