Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Antimo Caputo 00 first try.

Options
Antimo Caputo 00... Bought ten bags of A/C 00 some time ago and finally got a chance to try it out this weekend.  This was my first "scratch pizza crust"  I made the dough balls yesterday, made the pizza tonight.  Probably about the best pizza crust I've ever had.  Baked at 650 for about about 8 minutes.  Legs up, grid, BGE raised grid with BGE stone on top.  I used Trader Joe's Sauce which was actually pretty good.  I still have a problem with the dough sticking to the peal so used parchment paper which seemed to work ok.  One question... I've had homemade pizza and pizza from the Wild Tomato in Door County WI in the last couple of weeks.  Both were made in a wood fired pizza oven.  I do like the wood  flavor slightly more then the lump in the BGE.  So, would adding a few wood chips to the fire be the same as an pizza oven?  thanks.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Not the same but would help add some smoke.  Keep trying variations including higher temps with 00.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Not the same but would help add some smoke.  Keep trying variations including higher temps with 00.  

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    Thank you.  Actually thinking 700 degrees or so might be better. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Play with it and go easy on the ttoppings.  00 will take 700 easily.  My experience is the sweet spot is 700-750.  Have fun brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    We ate at wild tomatoes a few weeks ago and liked it so much we went back the next day. Which one were you at? 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Agree w/ @bgebrent - I typically stretch my crust out fairly thinly (think Neapolitan style) and 750 is typically my target temp.  Enjoy that 00 flour, I'm typically relegated to standard bread flour  :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Not all 00 flour is the same.  Caputo is the company.  00 is the milling size.  They make several different 00 flours for various purposes.  They make some specifically for pizza dough to be cooked at temps greater than 700º. They make some for pizza dough to be cooked at temps between 500-600º.  They make some marketed as an all purpose dough for pizza, bread and pasta (cooking temp not specified).  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Congrats.  

Dough sticking, make it dryer. Use less water. 

As as far as smoke, combustion is complete above 600 F. You will get zero smoke flavor from wood. The smokiness you taste from a WFO is the dough itself charing. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I only use the Antimo Caputo Pizzaria flour when using my Blackstone.

I set the stone temp for 800F

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I typically use the "blue bag" caputo 00 for my ZA  too . . on blackstone around 800F.  

As for sticking to peel, moving fast is key!  Have everything lined up. . . then only then . . open the dough ball into round on floured surface, slide on to well floured wood peel, dress with sauce/toppings, and launch on to pizza stone.  I try to go from dough ball (kept in round bottom tupperware w/ little evoo) to launch in 1 min . .  2 mins max. 

Since you are cooking at high temp w/ high temp flour (00) . . I would not lower your hydration (aka dryer dough).  Good luck.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Many good solutions here - my go-to method to have pizza dough not stick is coating the peel liberally w/ corn meal prior to setting the stretched dough on it.  Gives the pizza a slightly different texture but accomplishes the same end goal.

Either way, you need *something* on your pizza peel or the dough will generally stick.
  • BBQbutler
    BBQbutler Posts: 82
    Options
    I have two peels --- a large wooden one ( corn meal as the ball bearings) for assembly ......  here is a method and angle to get the pizza to slide off the peel.  almost the same back and for the gentle method of a steak knife into a tender filet ( back and forth and it slides ) and the metal one to remove the pizza from the stone to place on the pan to cut.   The metal is thinner and gets right between the crust and the stone.    hope that helps.. ( btw Restaurant Depot carries the metal ones for $11, if you have one close by. --- wood ones too ) 
    LBGE , 22.5 & 18 WSM, 26.25 Kettle, Jennair Gasser, & a plethora of mobile Webers 
    Avid Cubs - Jaguars - Seminole fan. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • NDG
    Options
    +1 on wood peel & metal peel
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

As @NDG said, getting your mise en place ready is key. I have all the topping ready to go and then open my dough. I actually fold it in half then gracefully lift it on to my cormealed aluminum pizza peel. Make sure you have a well floured dough surface as well before going to the peel. If your dough has any stick to it, it will stick to your peel and the launch will abruptly fail. the cornmeal is acting like little marbles to slide the dough off.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Semolina serves the same purpose as cornmeal but will not alter the taste profile like cornmeal.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NDG
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes! I use Semolina on the wood peel.  I was going to write that in my previous post . . but had no idea about spelling and didnt want to write "salmonella" 

flour/cornmeal will help NO STICK . . but Semolina does it without any negative bitter or burnt taste.

NOTE salmonella is not recommended  :s
    Columbus, OH

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    Thanks @NDG - I was about to go out and try to buy some salmonella.
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    On a different note, I haven't had any problems with cornmeal burning and I cook at 750 - but yes, both accomplish the same result.

You do get a different taste and texture between the two (desirable or undesirable depending on the individual).