Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ground Beef at RD

Options
 I picked up a 10lb chub of Superior Angus 80 / 20 Ground Chuck today.  When I got home and opened it , I noticed that it was not the same texture as what I would buy at BJs or publix. It made fantastic burgers! Can somebody tell me why it is not ground as fine as what I would find at the grocery store ? This stuff tastes Great !
More meat please !! :-)

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Probably a single rough grind. You will get more gristle that way but that's how I always do mine. I have never got their ground beef cause I always just grind their briskets it I took a buddy there once and he got the ground beef and didn't like it cause he said it had too much gristle. 
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Sounds like there might be a meat grinder in my future :-)  Brisket Burger sounds mighty tasty ! Thanks !
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Yes, I think beef like that is intended to be ground a second time. Not having a grinder has prevented me from buying it in the big tubes.
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Yes. According to the guys at my Publix they grind all the ground beef they get in a second time. They will sell you the coarse grind if you ask.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Yes. According to the guys at my Publix they grind all the ground beef they get in a second time. They will sell you the coarse grind if you ask.
    That's good to know for sure that the beef is ground twice. It's always tempting to buy the big tubes.
  • XLentEGG
    Options
    Well.... since I now have ten pounds of the stuff , i went to that freight place by the harbor and got me a nice little grinder. At least now I have a choice when I get a pack out of the deep freezer :-)
  • XLentEGG
    Options
    I ran the the meat through the grinder this morning... NOW it looks like some real nice 80/ 20 ! The yellow spots are from the potato bread I used to push the last bit to the front.
     The top pic is through the bag , but you can still see how course it was. Not bad for an inexpensive machine.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Now go buy you a nice chuck roast, par freeze it, cut it up in 1" chunks, run it through that grinder one time, and make the best burgers you've ever had.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I bought a 10 pound chub pack at local store. Let it in the freezer for a bit and sliced burgers right off it for a big party I had. I used to do frozen patties for bigger party's but will do this way, it was much better. 
  • XLentEGG
    edited July 2016
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Now go buy you a nice chuck roast, par freeze it, cut it up in 1" chunks, run it through that grinder one time, and make the best burgers you've ever had.
    I'm sure that won't be too far off :-) quick question...... When I do the one time grind, should I use the  plate with the larger holes , or just go slower and use the smaller one ? That pic is the smaller of the two I have.