Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried gasket question

Options
smalljaws
smalljaws Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had an unfortunate incident Saturday night that resulted in my gasket getting burned, as well as my eyelashes and forearm hair. Not a pleasant smell. The gasket on the top half of the egg in the front is mostly gone, but the bottom half is fairly well intact.

I guess I should replace the gasket sooner than latter, but I am curious what problems I might encounter with the current gasket. Does the damage to the gasket cause difficulties in maintaining temperatures or achieving low temperatures? Anyone cook without the gasket?

Thanks

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    You really, really need a gasket. The fire won't start as well, burn as hot, hold temps, and the gasket acts as a cushion between the top part of the egg and the bottom. Changing the gasket is easy. Loosen the lower band and lift off the top of the egg. Take a propane or mapp tourch and burn/heat the gasket. As you heat the gasket up take a scraper/putty knife ahd scrape off the gasket and any glue that remains. Let cool (just do the top while the bottom cools). Take rubbing alchol and a clean cotton towel and wipe down the area where the gasket was. Stick the new gasket down. Reset the top and tighten the band. Let it sit for a day or 2 and you are done. First time 1 hour, after that 30 min.