Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try..... It's dry!

Options
Amlucy2
Amlucy2 Posts: 20
Just got my bge yesterday and tried a whole chicken.  I had a little bit of difficulty keeping them temp to 350-375.  My chicken is dry.  I think I needed to cook it indirect ( I did direct) and try to cook at a little higher temp, rather than hovering around 300.  Is this correct?  Any other suggestions?  I'm going to cut the chicken up and attempt to make a chicken pizza with it.  It's not so dry that it can't be saved.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    What was the internal temp of the chicken when you pulled it, Breast and thigh?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    It doesn't really matter what temp you cook it at as long as you don't cook it too long. I cook whole chickens at 250-275 all the time. Pull at 170 breast and never dry.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Thermapen.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

Thermapen.  It doesn't matter if you cook on an egg, stove, grill or pan.  If the meat is not removed at the proper temp you will not get proper results.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Amlucy2
    Amlucy2 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you.  I pulled it at 165 but I did use a $5.99 instant thermometer.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I typically pull around 157 or so and let heat carry to 160 in the breast. At 165 and that higher temp you may have carried to 170+ and was likely the cause of it being dry.

the $5.99 thermo is likely fine- check to make sure reading correct temp in boiling water. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    then temperature you cook the meat TO is far more important than the temp you cook it AT

dry meat is always overcooked meat, unfortunately.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Breast 145 if you cook hot.  150 if you low n slow 
    Options
    I agree with all the above but a whole chicken is kind of difficult to cook direct if you just set it on the grid and try to turn it.  

You can spatchcock a chicken to cook direct. 
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

...or you can cook indirect as you suggested.  

Vertical chicken also works.  I have gone indirect using a stand with just an aluminum pie pan and it worked great.  Just don't waste good beer in the vertical application.  If you want to use a beer can to hold it drink the beer first and put a little water in it to weight it down (the beer does nothing for the bird). 

Most importantly check the internal temp to know when it is done which ever method you choose. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.