Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large Egg vs. Medium Egg

Options
Danny C
Danny C Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm wanting to purchase another egg (I have a small) for smoking, etc. Are there any special considerations that I might need to know about when comparing the large and medium eggs? The price is not really a factor, but looking for advice from some of you that have alot more time in cooking with them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Danny

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    DannyC,[p]Since you say that money is not an issue, get the large. However, I've had a medium egg for a year now and cook on it very very regularly. I've not ever once said to myself "self, I wish you had more room on this egg" I cook for a family of 4, two small kids though. However, I can fit six or so LARGE burgers on it, I frequently cook 5-7 pounds of jerkey, I've done 2 pork butts before, an 11 pound brisket, you name it, its been done. I fit a couple of racks of ribs on it no trouble at all. So, I would recommend the medium to anyone as a very versatile cooker as far as size goes. You wown be disappointed. However, like you said, money is no issue so go for the large. OR, get the medium and use the extra cash that you WOULD have spent on the large and get some cool accessories for the medium. Good luck and have fun with the new purchase.[p]Troy
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    DannyC,[p]The medium is a great egg. I quickly upgraded from a small. The autolocking band is a nice addition and more space is also nice. For a second egg, I bought a mini. Its great for burgers, steaks and travel.[p]Good luck with your choice.[p]Smokey

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    DannyC,[p]BGE has historically offered new items to fit the large Egg first. With money not a real problem, go for the large. The combination of both Eggs is very versatile.[p]Spin

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    DannyC,[p]My first Egg was a Large and my kids gave me a second Egg for my birthday...a Mini! I'm not complaining but, dang!, I'd love to have a Medium too!
    I agree with Sprinter et al...go for Mr. Big
    Good luck and happy new year[p]Carey