Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not pretty, but another way for crispy chicken

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
This splated cornish hen may not look so pretty, but trust me we both raved about it! I brined it for 12 hours, dried and rested for 8 hours and then wetted with lemon juice and hit with DP Raging River Rub. Egged direct on a raised grate for an hour at 375-400 with a fist size chunk of apple for smoke. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Did wetting it with lemon juice lend any flavor or was it just to make the rub stick?  (Thats a new one on me). 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    No taste either of us noticed. Me thinks the lemon juice made the skin pucker!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mickey's got nuthin' on you! :rofl: 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ima_good_egg
    Ima_good_egg Posts: 590
    Options
    Wow! That looks good!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Mickey's got nuthin' on you! :rofl: 
    Good one.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yes, I think the lemon juice was the icing on the cake. Or, in this case, the blackening of the bird.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Yes, I think the lemon juice was the icing on the cake. Or, in this case, the blackening of the bird.
    raging river has a lot of turbinado in it, no? that's what's blackening usually, the sugar.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn, you tattooed that chicken Ron!  That's the frontside I'm looking at, yes?
  • gdenby
    Options
    gdenby said:
    raging river has a lot of turbinado in it, no? that's what's blackening usually, the sugar.

That makes sense, tho' its awfully dark for the temperature. My notion was that the lemon juice both bleached the skin, and denatured some of the collagen, letting it get really crunchy. But the sugar would certainly play a big role. Guess its time for some side by side.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Ron that looks great. How big is that bird?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron that looks great. How big is that bird?
    Just a normal Cornish game hen which Tyson says is 2.25 pound. BTW I never flipped that during the cook so the top side was never exposed to the direct heat.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    What happens to the tattoo thread? Did I miss some fireworks? 

Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    What happens to the tattoo thread? Did I miss some fireworks? 

hmmm, looks like it got deleted. Not sure about any fireworks, but the reference to me was someone PhotoShopped my face on some dude's body with extreme tats and pierced nipples. 
  • Legume
    Options
    gdenby said:
    gdenby said:

That makes sense, tho' its awfully dark for the temperature. My notion was that the lemon juice both bleached the skin, and denatured some of the collagen, letting it get really crunchy. But the sugar would certainly play a big role. Guess its time for some side by side.
    Sounds like it was just a wetting with lemon juice to get the rub to stick, no prolonged exposure.  I'm not sure that would really make a difference, especially after the bird was dried for 8 hours first.  If that was the case, wouldn't lemon juice burn your skin?
  • gdenby
    Options
    Legume said:
    gdenby said:
    gdenby said:

Sounds like it was just a wetting with lemon juice to get the rub to stick, no prolonged exposure.  I'm not sure that would really make a difference, especially after the bird was dried for 8 hours first.  If that was the case, wouldn't lemon juice burn your skin?
    If my skin had been dried in the fridge for 8 hours, I think it would. :) I don't think the acid effect of lemon juice burns the collagen in skin, or in muscle tissue, is burning. It just causes the molecules to break down, which in turn lets water out more easily.

For ceviches or some tartares, the added lemon or lime juice just needs half an hour or so to "cook" the wet meat.

I've had more chicken in the last week than I like, but I've got enough wings on hand that in a few days I'll try doing them w. different drying, and coating.  I can't find much of anything online of pics on differences between Maillard browning and caramelization.

• Legume
    Options
    I don't know, lemon juice is supposed to lighten skin but that chicken is definitely darker.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Lemon wouldnt make the sugar darker. And the sugar is darker. 

Sugar, in a low oxygen and high temp environment

and the skin dried after 8 hours of drying.

plus a fist sized chunk of smoke.  

Seems clear where the browning's from. 

Shrug. not sure the puzzle
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    It does indeed appear to be crispy.
    Looks great.