Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

buying big green egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm debating on which size egg to buy, is the XL going to be too big for a family of 3? The large is about 2 inches smaller than my weber, any advise on which way I should go?

Comments

• eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    Options
    Jeff Weir,[p]That's a tough decision that's based on your individual needs. A few months ago when I got mine I too wrestled with that same decision. I ended up going with the large rather than the XL for the following reasons:[p]<1> The lid on the XL is HEAVY - too heavy for my wife to comfortably use.[p]<2> The added size of the XL while nice was a feature that on my normal cook I would not be utilizing - it therefore represented a waste in future fuel requirements.[p]<3> I don't host huge events. Since acquiring the Egg - the largest event I have cooked for has been 9 people. In this case my needs were easily handled with a grill extender on the large. Your cook needs may vary. (The surface area of a large with a grill extender is greater than the surface area of the XL main grill.)[p]I retrospect I'm pleased with my decision. For the price difference between the Lg and XL - I can pick up a small (which I'm considering), and having a 2nd Egg that I can operate at a different temp from the main is of far more benefit, for me, than the extra space of a large.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Jeff Weir,[p]The one reason I bought the large vs the Xlarge...[p]the dome height of the XL isn't as tall as the Large...[p]you have more grill space but less height.....[p]
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    Jeff Weir,
    You will find that almost 100% of us that use the Egg will tell you to go with the large for the first purchase. You can feed an army with the thing. I have a friend that gave his brother his large so he could have an excuse to purchase an extra large. He lives alone and until this day I don't know why he wanted an Extra large. I guess because he can. [p]Chef Jerry

• FL Bob
    FL Bob Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi,
    I own both the large an XL. I believe each has its advantage. The large does not require as much fuel as the XL. I'm not sure if that is significant. True, the dome on the large is a little taller (1 1/4" I believe) whereas the with the XL dome it is larger across its top and provides more capacity than the large: not counting the additional space on the grate which is about a 30 to 50% increase over the Large, depending upon what you are cooking. I am also incline to believe that the XL offers better control when you are cooking in the lower temp ranges below 250 due to the much larger grate area which has many more air holes. At least I find that to be true from my experience. I do not believe you will go wrong with either one. They are both great cookers.
    Bob
  • FowlMouth
    FowlMouth Posts: 14
    Options
    I have had my LG BGE for over 2 years now and have cooked for 12 people one time. It will handle a whole pork shoulder, or a whole turkey, or 2 rosting hens, or 5 large Porter House steaks, or 3 racks of ribs. It will only do one pizza at a time but I like mine large. The final reason I like the LG over the XL is that at my local supplier the XL is twice the cost, and I am cheap. :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    I had the same decision to make back in March and went with the XL. No regrets. [p]For grilling and ribs, the XL grid really rocks. Not that you can't do the same volume on a large but you may need to work around it's limits. You can also go true indirect by building your fire on only one side. The dome is a bit heavy, tho, so go lift a display one a few times. [p]I'm sure you'll be happy either way ... but don't shy away from the XL unnecessarily![p]Cheers - John
  • Unknown
    Options
    A couple of months ago I was debating between the large and medium for my family of 3. I ended up going with the large and am very happy with it. I can cook a lot of meat. Or I can cook a smaller portion of meat (e.g. chicken) and a side.[p]Unless you're going to be grilling for company a lot, I think a large will do you just fine.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Jeff Weir,
    I was in same boat as you...prior grill was 22" Weber so I wanted to go XL, but production keep lagging last year & I went with a Lg. in May which was a good thing b/c after finally seeing the XL in a grill store, turned out my wife had a tuff time lifting lid; but then 40yrs. as a hair dresser & teasing hair has caused some joint problems.[p]Since most cooks are just for the 2 of us w/some planned L.O. extras, I downsized Lg. to small which was used for 15 straight cooks b4 changing back to Lg. for a 9lb. picnic....turned out it cooked in 12.5hrs. at 225 and cudda' used the small setup![p]Anywhoooo...check out this post on Sat:
    "If You Have Lg, Why Get a Mini or Small?" posted 7.8.06
    at 16:13:29 & go to follow-ups by DavidS.
    First follow-up has 7 fotos; but all are small files at 64k.
    Downsizing Lg. to small is very easy & good option if ya' don't plan to go multiple Eggs.[p]But, anjy EggCook beats Webster out of the grill kitchen...
    Here's the job Webster has now...storing EggExtras(less several raised grates)....and no cooktime since buying Egg !!
    P6170018.jpg
    DavidS[p][p]

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I would also say the large BGE is plenty for a family of 3....I have a large and cooked 32lbs. of Boston Butt (4 x 8-pounders) and a 24lb. Prime Rib this past weekend (two seperate cooks!) and I think that's enough to feed a family of 3![p]Good luck![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• ButtsLuvRubs
    Options
    Jeff Weir,
    Date for initial post, "If You Have a Lg...." was 7.7.06, not 7.8; time was correct.
    Sorry 'bout that...luks like it's gonna' be one of those Mondays..:)
    DavidS

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Jeff Weir,
    I have Large and XL Egg . I also cooked with 22" Webers for years. Don't let the smaller grill size of the large egg fool you compared to your 22" Weber. The Egg will hold a more even heat and make use of almost the entire 18" grid.
    An extender can be added and this will increase your cooking space at a very cheap cost. I have seen so many posts about the shorter dome height of the XL. This is not true. The center dome height is the same on the XL as the Large. The dome shape is different and the rise from the edge to the center is more gradual, this makes it look shorter. The base on the XL is shorter than the large. This can make indirect cooking methods limited compared to the large but the XL grill width is great for ribs, wings ABT's. I also see posts about getting more food on a Large than on a XL by using the extender. I'm sure this is true, but if you use an extender on the XL you could most likely blow the large out of the water in grill space. I used my 22" weber grate on my XL. Wings on one and ABT's on the other. Two massive layers of great food. The lid on the XL is heavy. My wife lifted once and said no way. The lid on My Weber is very light and she never lifted it so what my wife can or can not lift was not a concern. I had hoped after pointing out how great the women cooking at the Texas Eggfest looked behind the Egg that she might take a stab at it. On the other hand she lets be buy what I want. True love..
    I normally only cook for my wife and I but I always target leftovers for lunch at work.
    Is the Large better than the XL? IMHO, I like them both. I do think you get a little more versatlity with the extra base height of the Large and the Large plate setter works much better than the plate setter for the XL.
    Good luck with your choice.[p]Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas