Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alton Brown's Pizza Crust

Options
Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I haven't been cooking much latly, or posting much. Yesterday I put up a side of Rib Eyes to dry age and I got up this morning and thru together the AB pizza crust recipe. I did use packaged yeast not the instant yeast as that was all I had, and I cut the sugar and salt in half. I only rested it in the fridge for about 7 hours. Well let me tell you it was the best pizza crust I have ever tasted. The best thing it was so easy, you just dump it in the mixer. One thing, run that dough hook for 20 min minimum. I may try to double it or just make 2 batches next time and use the recipe to make baugettes. According to AB the dough will hold in the fridge for 5 days. Based on my experience it gets 5 stars. I have really not gotten into breads much but We all liked this one.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    why1504,[p] Glad you enjoyed it so much! I bake artisan bread regularly on the BGE and will do so until really cold weather arrives. I maintain a sourdough starter and always make pizza dough from the weekly refresh excess. Yeast does not seem to be a critcal issue and I often us none. Never any sugar, but always some good Brittany sea salt! We can really notice it when I goof and leave out the salt when mixing the dough![p] You will really enjoy some baguettes when you decide to give thema try.[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggsSport)

• CT Grillguy
    CT Grillguy Posts: 149
    Options
    why1504,[p]Awesome. We made pizza for the first time this weekend and had issues with gasket and temp...but thats another story.[p]I have a question for you. What do you do to the dough after you take it out of the fridge. I have trouble getting the dough to behave and have trouble shaping it into the crust. It seems like stiff rubber to me. I've never done much baking so any help would be great![p]Thanks
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    remove the dough 2 hours before using, to allow it to come to room temp.
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]Bets are you did not leave it in the mixer long enough or did not run the mixer at a high enough speed. As an FYI I ran my Kitchen Aid on 1 for 15 min and then on 2 for 10 more min and mine was barely done. Also if the dough is more elastic than plastic when you begin to make the pizza leave it on the counter flattened out for 5 or 10 minutes. This should help it relax.

• icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p]Actually the dough should be hard to form. To make a nice crust you need to use "bread flour" because of the gluten. The gluten is what makes the dough feel rubbery...The longer you mix it the more you build the "gluten" strans...[p]I make pizza all the time and they can be a little hard to shape so I make 9 inch pizzas...[p]I had a pizza party a couple of weeks ago where I cooked 40 pizzas in one evening and they all came out great!
  • Unknown
    Options
    CT Grillguy,[p] You have some answers, but refrigerated dough is very tough to shape. I take mine out of the fridge close to 6 hours prior to trying to shape the dough. Otherwise it just continues to contract and takes way too much time to work.[p] I certainly support the notion of 'bread' or even 'high protein' flour for pizza dough. Also, many people do not realize that there can be surprising protein differences in flour due to seasonal growing issues .... including water. Here in Utah, with several drought years, flour is all pretty high protein. Sounds weird, but they must plant less wheat and it then has more soil nutirents to draw from.[p]Tom B. (EggSport)

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    why1504,[p]It's not like rolling out cookie dough. You really have to work it into shape. If it's still cold or right out of the fridge it will be even tougher. Man-handle it and it will conform!!!