Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing Cooked Turkey?

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
Got an 11# whole turkey that has been  in the freezer for a few years that needs to be defrosted and cooked.  It's more than we can reasonably eat in a few days and I'm wondering what to do with the other half of the bird.  Freeze it whole, cut it up?
Any suggestions??  TIA!!

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would debone the entire bird after cooking. Use the bones for stock. Put what you will eat for the next few days in the frig.  Portion the remainder into meal size portions, freeze, vacuum seal, and keep in the freezer until needed.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Yep, I'd debone after cooking, freeze what you can't eat and use the bones for stock. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle