Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KAB - question

Options
So the other night a good friend stopped over. He was in town for business and it's his birthday this week. Told him I'd make him a hell of a dinner (and I did :)
After a few beers then cocktails I fired up the egg. Indirect till 118 on the strips...then let her go. I was showing it off a bit because he mentioned his Weber and how he'd get it up to maybe 500. Well my dumbass got her up past 1000 and it didn't take long. After the meal I was sitting there and remember reading somewhere not to do high temp cooks like that with the KAB. I'm at work and haven't checked it out since Wednesday night. You guys think I damaged/warped that thing?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    You're fine. I've had mine for two years and done everything possible to kill it. Still going.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    1,000 won't hurt, melt, or otherwise stress a KAB, but may very well damage the factory gasket...if fact you may get home tonight and find your egg gaskets fused together.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I have done the same no biggie.... I read a grill sold by one of the ceramic stores has issues over 500F. It was the one out of Pittsburgh not Texas.
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    You're fine. I've had mine for two years and done everything possible to kill it. Still going.
    that makes me feel better...thanks fellas 
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    Options
    RRP said:
    1,000 won't hurt, melt, or otherwise stress a KAB, but may very well damage the factory gasket...if fact you may get home tonight and find your egg gaskets fused together.
    well it's a good thing I've got my Rutland gasket from @RRP!!   =)

I've actually gone over 1000 on the factory gasket before and didn't have an issue. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I think all the KAB's are now made from a thicker rod. The earlier versions may have had occasional problems with warping or burning out.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    "Now that's kick ash"... Sorry just wanted to stop by and say that
    Seattle, WA