Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Birthday Dinner

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Today my oldest turns 12. He's a wonderful young man and I'm very blessed. He got excited last week when my brisket showed up and saw this steak too. Since he was so excited about it, I thought it would be a great birthday meal. Looking forward to the cook. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Damn lucky kid...lol
    Can't wait for the after photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Happy Birthday to your son.. That is a great looking steak/roast.. Enjoy the celebration..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    @minniemoh -  training him right but with expensive tastes.  Enjoy the B'day celebration.
    How do you plan to cook that hunk of beef?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @lousubcap - reverse sear is what I had in mind. Opened it and lightly salted and put in the fridge for the day. Thinking I will just season with a little salt and pepper. I'm a little nervous cooking a steak that costs as much as a Costco Prime grade brisket.  =)
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    @minniemoh the reverse sear should work just fine, this cook was one of my favorite cooks and it tasted amazing, you'll do this hunk of meat justice!   Lucky son you have, and a happy birthday to him.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    So are you adopting?  Great looking hunk of beef.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That's a great birthday gift!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just watch how it looks during the roast. You may not need to sear it, might brown up nicely on its own.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    That's a good looking hunk of cow! Happy bday to your son.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• minniemoh
    Options
    Well, it's on. Thanks for all the pointers guys. Never been nervous before a steak cook - feels weird, I know it's just meat right? Threw just a few cherry chips in as we like a tiny bit of smoke. A little salt and a few cranks of fresh cracked pepper. Going at 225 and I've got the cast iron grate under the Woo/platesetter for the sear if I need it. I intended to let it warm up a bit on the counter but I forgot to take it out of the fridge. 

eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    As long as you hit the finish temp you want, it really doesn't matter how you get there.  Share a birthday kid beverage with your son and relax.  You've got this.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Well the end result is "birthday steak" has replaced birthday cake for this young man. Pretty pleased with the results. Spot on at 130 for a finish temp. Topped with a little Kerry Gold and a few fresh-cut chives. It is truly an amazing cut of meat and worth every penny. 

eggAddict from MN!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Wowzer!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Options
    Nailed it! Congrats and looks like the kid loves his meat cake.

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Perfect!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Musta been the kid beverage...Nailed it.  most excellent right there.  Great result.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wowzer!!!!   Happy Birthday
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dabearhawks
    Options
    Nicely done - you have a son who should be proud of his Dad
  • SRFShane
    SRFShane Posts: 155
    Options
    @minniemoh - these pictures are awesome!  Congrats and happy birthday to your son!  

We would love to share the "birthday steak" picture on our social media channels if you don't mind, let me know if that's OK.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That is ridiculously AWWWWWWEESOME!!!!! That smile says everything. Now I want casteak for my birthday 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nailed it!  Love the shot with the candles. Your son is a lucky young man. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• minniemoh
    Options
    SRFShane said:
    @minniemoh - these pictures are awesome!  Congrats and happy birthday to your son!  

We would love to share the "birthday steak" picture on our social media channels if you don't mind, let me know if that's OK.  
    We would be honored @SRFShane! Feel free to use any of the photos. Thanks for the birthday wishes too!

eggAddict from MN!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks for all the compliments guys. We will definitely get some more of these steaks. So good!
    eggAddict from MN!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Wow! Looks fantastic. I have two in the deep freeze just waiting on the right time. I intend to use the reverse sear method as well. Expensive, but sometimes it is worthwhile to splurge on something special.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here is to July birthdays. Beautifuls steak / cook.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Impressive work. Was never in doubt from the looks of things. 
    Large

Houston,TX