Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Johnsonville Brats

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done Brats on the Egg a few times, and guess I'm not doing it right. My wife tells me they taste like dirt, sort of gritty and not very pleasing.[p] I tend to agree with her, can someone tell me how they cook them? What temp, method, time etc.... I'm thinking I'm overcooking them but not sure.[p] Any special prep before the cook or anything? I know they can taste better, but don't know how to get there.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    118_1848.jpg[p]SuperDave, these are jville brats. I cook em high in the dome, raised grid and direct, 350 to 400 on temp, smoke with a chunk of cherry for nice red color, and don't keep opening the dome or the fire will flare and open the brats. I turn em maybe twice. [p]Give the egg a good hour to come to temp and burn off the last cook. When the brats' juice runs clear, they are done. Some folks will cook longer to render the fat juices, so when they eat em, the brats won't spit. Not be, I like em nice and juicy....Good luck. T

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    SuperDave,[p]It will probably sound weird, but I boil mine for quite a while before I Q them. I like to get all that greasy-ness out of them.[p]Weird, I know.....

• Unknown
    Options
    Sandbagger, have you ever used a drip pan on the lower grid to catch the drippings and avoid having grease drip into the charcoal? Just wondering if it wouldn't work just as well??????

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Chuck/Tx, never thought about a drip pan with brats. I guess you could use a pan and go indirect. When I cook the brats, all I am looking for is the heat and smoke. I'm not really interested in charring the outside. I also don't cook/render out the fat in the brats, so that also reduces the need for a drip pan. Heck, the juices are clear, I pull em, cause this fat boy ain't waiting....done means eating.....LOL[p]Tom
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    "I like to get all that greasy-ness out of them."[p]
    AlaskanC, that just shot-to-hell any possibility of a long term relationship......LOL[p]So, how may bags of Texas B&B you got stashed away....tom

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    Not wierd at all, I learned brat cooking in Wisconsin where they simmer them in beer and onions for 20-30 minutes then grill just enough to put some color on them. When I tried Egging them direct without simmering, the casings were tough by the time they were done. So, the don't boil your ribs rule doesn't apply to brats. -RP

• Unknown
    Options
    SuperDave ,I agree with you, I haven't had success either. I disagree with boiling them, so does Dr.BBQ in his cookbook. If you boil them first, aren't you cooking out the flavor?? Actually, the best J'villes I have ever had, were off of a neighbors Holland gas grill. I am interested also in what people suggest to do.

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    SuperDave ,
    I think Dr BBQ's method of browning then steaming in a bath of onions, butter and beer is hard to beat.
    Cheers, Bob

• Sandbagger
    Options
    AZRP, I grew up in Wisconsin and from conversations with my elders and what I remember, the simmering of brats in beer and onions was done after grilling. I remember, growing up as a kid in the 60s, the local fraternal organizations would have summer brat frys and in late summer brat frys and corn roasts. The general method was to cook mass quantities of brats, starting early to keep ahead of demand. To keep the brats moist and warm after cooking, they would use those electric turkey roaster contraptions. The brat, beer and onion was a righteous fit. Hell it was Wisconsin - always kegs around and most folks ate brats with onions. So when you dunked in the pan for a brat, you also got your onions. [p]Man, I miss those fests and the Sheboygan brat bun!
  • AZRP
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I've done it both ways, in fact a Webber cookbook I have has you brown them first, then simmer in beer and onions. When you simmer first, you really cut down on the flare ups and splitting. I did 400 brats for an Octoberfest last year without any flare ups. What part of WI are you from? -RP

• Sandbagger
    Options
    AZRP, fond du lac, southern tip of Lake Winnebago, largest inland lake in Wisconsin, approx. 30 miles long but with an average depth of 20 feet. Must of been one shallow glacier, way back when.....[p]Man, I would love to cook 400 brats. [p]Tom

• AZRP
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I really like Wisconsin, I go up to Manitowok every summer to visit a customer. The people are really nice and society seems to revolve around the taverns, gotta love that. -RP

• tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    SuperDave ,
    I know the purists don't like it, but I cook them in beer and water with the onions. I then brown the brats on the bbq and cook down the delectable onions and greese. I love them. A little mustard and you are one your way...tom

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    So in other words... you guys are even weirder than me!! lol[p]You got me thinkin though - I've got an open pack of brats in the fridge.... hmmm....
  • SuperDave
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I just want to cook some Brats on the Egg that don't taste like dirt![p]lol...[p]OK then, I'll just have a Margarita or two![p]Cheers

• Unknown
    Options
    Sandbagger, well, one thing is for sure -- they really look good in that pic you posted. I'm always interested in seeing how different people cook sausage. We consider smoked sausage to be a BBQ item in Texas. Most all the BBQ joints have it. There are lots of German towns in the Texas Hill Country that have been making smoked sausage since the Germans first settled here from the old country. Thanks for your reply.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sandbagger, pardon me. While I was writing about Texas sausage, I forgot that you too are a Texan. You would know about the history of German sausage in our state.

• Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Options
    SuperDave ,
    I used the recipe for Irish Brats in the recipe submission section over the 4th weekend. Although it is tragic to use up Guiness that way you could probably get by with less if you weighted them down with a saucer or something in the crockpot. They were crocked for about 7 hrs. with the beer and onions then I cooked them on the grill for a little char and smoke flavor. They were delicious & the best Brats I've ever had. No toughness from the casing, they were practically melt in your mouth. I definitely would do them again that way. You could simmer them on low heat on the grill first if adverse to crocking first. Boy did they smell good & the smell inside the house made me salivate all day while they were being simmered. I definitely recommend as worth a try.

[ul][li]Irish Brats[/ul]
  • SuperDave
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    Thanks for the great tips and pic... that's exactly what I was asking for. I was cooking them until they were dried up inside I think.[p] I'll give that a try, the ones on your egg look mighty tasty! Kinda makin' this fat boy hungry![p]I just pulled a 7 pound Boston Butt off after 17 hours at 250º.... waiting (cooler) is the hardest part![p]Cheers!

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    SuperDave,[p]I see you got a lot of great advice already. Here's a recipe I use that always pleases my guests. They also hold well done like this.[p]Beer-Brats on a Bun[p]Grill the sausages first, then add them to a beer sauce for a great sandwich.[p]Makes 4 servings[p]Ingredients:[p]1 pound bratwurst
    3 tablespoons olive or canola oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    12 ounces dark German beer
    2 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon coarse German-style mustard
    4 Kaiser or other hard rolls[p]Preparation:[p]Grill sausages over medium heat until brown and 3/4 done, turning them occasionally as they brown.[p]In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil. Add the onion, cover the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until light brown. [p]Pour in the beer and scrape up any brown bits clinging to the bottom of the pan. Add grilled sausages to the pan, and add the bay leaves.[p]Partially cover and cook over moderate heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the mustard and cook until the liquid has begun to thicken slightly. To serve, split the brats down the middle and place on a roll with the onions and sauce. Pass a pot of hot mustard on the side.