Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food to Travel

Options
Organizing a weekend golf outing in about a month.  Want to bring some good eats from the egg.  What are some of the best things that can be made in advance (a few days) and reheated once we get there.  I have a FoodSaver that can be used.  Food ideas, recipes, and reheating methods appreciated!

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    Cook a pork butt, portion out, and food saver it. Heat in water and you'll be good to go. I reheat Mac and cheese the same way. 
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    Cook a pork butt, portion out, and food saver it. Heat in water and you'll be good to go. I reheat Mac and cheese the same way. 
    This.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I cooked too many briskets once and cut it in half to food saver it. I heated the bag in simmering water and it was fantastic. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Anytime I take a trip always do a Boston butt... Fits in the yeti roadie fine.. Just carry some paper plates, knife, BBQ sauce and a can of Pringles .. Good cold at a rest stop or warmed in the hotel
  • squezz
    squezz Posts: 56
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I cooked too many briskets once and cut it in half to food saver it. I heated the bag in simmering water and it was fantastic. 
    I tried this over Christmas and it was awful.  Wonder what I did wrong.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    squezz said:
    JRWhitee said:
    How long did you heat it? Did you thaw the meat first (if you froze it of course...)? 
  • squezz
    Options
    squezz said:
    JRWhitee said:
    How long did you heat it? Did you thaw the meat first (if you froze it of course...)? 
    I heated it up for about an hour on the stove -- it was never frozen.  As far as cooking, I let it rest when it was done, put in FoodSaver, and then put it in a cold bath (I had read that somewhere on here).
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I'd skip the cold bath next time. 1hr seems like a long time depending on your water temp. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    squezz said:
    JRWhitee said:
    I froze it, let it thaw in the fridge and heated it in simmering water for around 30 minutes.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • squezz
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    squezz said:
    JRWhitee said:
    I froze it, let it thaw in the fridge and heated it in simmering water for around 30 minutes.
    How long did you let it rest before vacuum sealing and then in the freezer?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    You can prep burnt ends (either pork or brisket point) through smoking, cubing, tossing in more rub and saucing and then foodsaver them.  You can finish them in a disposable foil own in the oven of you don't have access to a decent grill.  Works great and the smoke is already on them at that point, you're just reheating and caramelize get them. Works great.
  • squezz
    Options
    Legume said:
    You can prep burnt ends (either pork or brisket point) through smoking, cubing, tossing in more rub and saucing and then foodsaver them.  You can finish them in a disposable foil own in the oven of you don't have access to a decent grill.  Works great and the smoke is already on them at that point, you're just reheating and caramelize get them. Works great.
    Do you have a good recipe/instructions for pork burnt ends?
  • Legume
    Options
    I use boneless, country style pork ribs (pretty much just pork butt cut into rib-shaped pieces).  I rub and smoke like a butt, not turbo, maybe 250.  Lots of smoke.  I pull them at 170ish when they're still firm.  Let them cool, cube them up, toss with more rub, coat with a healthy dose of sauce, then vacuum seal and into the fridge or freezer.  You can split it into two batches with different sauces if you want.  I like mustard based sauces on pork burnt ends.  When you're ready, plop them into a foil pan or on a cookie sheet and bake at 375-400 to caramelize them.
  • squezz
    Options
    Legume said:
    I use boneless, country style pork ribs (pretty much just pork butt cut into rib-shaped pieces).  I rub and smoke like a butt, not turbo, maybe 250.  Lots of smoke.  I pull them at 170ish when they're still firm.  Let them cool, cube them up, toss with more rub, coat with a healthy dose of sauce, then vacuum seal and into the fridge or freezer.  You can split it into two batches with different sauces if you want.  I like mustard based sauces on pork burnt ends.  When you're ready, plop them into a foil pan or on a cookie sheet and bake at 375-400 to caramelize them.
    About how long til they get to 170 and how long to caramelize?
  • Legume
    Options
    Maybe 90 min to 2 hours?  Don't really know to be honest.

In the oven, maybe 30 min at 400?  I just put them in and stay sort of close.  Shake them around a few times to get all sides crispy, etc.  I cook them until they get dark, crispy edges on them.
  • squezz
    Options
    Legume said:
    Maybe 90 min to 2 hours?  Don't really know to be honest.

In the oven, maybe 30 min at 400?  I just put them in and stay sort of close.  Shake them around a few times to get all sides crispy, etc.  I cook them until they get dark, crispy edges on them.
    I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
  • Legume
    Options
    Here's a before and after for pork burnt ends for reference.