Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Temps

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
USA today yesterday had an article about cooking pork. They said farmers have shaved 16% in fat off their hogs in the past 10 years, and that pork is a full 47% leaner than 25 years ago. Jack Bishop of America's Test Kitchen basically said if you follow the old recipes (170 deg) you'd end up w/ shoe leather.He recommended 145 to 150 for the most flavor and that makes for pink on the inside.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Ironb,
    if you pull a loin off the grill between 140 and 142 and let the temp climb a bit on the counter its a little pink and sometimes moist wet, and great tasting. if you were to cook below 300, i would probably take it off the grill at a little higher internal temp, but anything higher than 150 internal and it really starts to dry out

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Ironb,[p]That temp range and color holds true for the leaner cuts like chops, loin, tenderloin, etc. They will be flavorful and tender. Through engineering, pork has become a "healthier" product and hogs are larger (hoof weight) too. That is good. The downside is that flavor has decreased and some producers are selling enhanced pork, which has been pumped (up to 13%) with flavored water to overcome this. [p]Shop for pork marked "fresh" and you will usually get a quality product.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ironb,[p]I agree with the 150 range, nice and moist with a little pinkage. I think as long as you get above 137 degree level your safe. Can anyone confirm that?[p]Howard

• Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I've found that if I brine the pork in a simple salt/sugar/water solution for 2-3 days, the pork will stay moist and tender even when cooked to about 180F.