Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Concept Help for new table/kitchen

Options
ok, so next spring (2017) I am building a new deck here in the great PNW. It will be roughly 10-12' deep by 24-26' wide. This will be a high up 2nd story deck (14' off ththe ground) I am going to put a shed roof to cover most of it (including the egg area).

that being said, what do you like about your outdoor egg area, and what would you change?

here are my thoughts /wishes so far.

1. Needs to house both the large and mini-max
2. Would like one large, or two medium prep areas.
3. Would like a sink as mine will be decently far away.
4. In an ideal world I would have a refrigerator.
5. Maaaaaybe a bar area?
6. Shape could be "L" shaped, maybe an island, or "U" shaped?

what are your thoughts?

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @midwestsmoker I sure wish I wasn't forced to live in the city ...Great set up 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @fletcherfam

I think what often gets overlooked in outdoor kitchens is the non-sexy stuff.  Dirty landing counters for hot things, vacuum hoses etc.  

I've designed a large pizza making cart that I plan on building this summer.  Nothing fancy, but it will house my vacuum, weedburner/tank, and provide me with 12 drawers for various lump, smoke woods, partially used lump, and various implements.

@midwestsmoker  That is a truly gorgeous cooking area you have.  I'm sure you enjoy the heck out of it.
    Phoenix 
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    @midwestsmoker that is beautiful!!  Is that 2 LG and Mini?  Also can you show if your build-in ash vacuum you mention?
  • jvencius
    jvencius Posts: 19
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're going to be putting any significant amount of masonry on a deck, consider building it with joists that are 12" on center vs the more conventional 16" spacing as well as some additional support columns/posts to account for the load they'll be bearing.  Before doing any construction, though, a consult with a structural engineer (if you don't have to do one as part of the permitting process) would be smart money to make sure that the deck will be strong and safe enough for what you're planning.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    10 feet is not deep enough for that size deck, definitely go 12 or bigger.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It may be different in the Pacific Northwest, but in the Indiana sun and humidity I find an outdoor refrigerator isn't very efficient. Mine struggles to keep up. I'd opt for a built-in cooler with a drain. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options
    I'd really try to put in a sink and an ice maker that makes clear ice.  Cloudy ice is a pet peeve of mine.  
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• kidcowboy
    kidcowboy Posts: 27
    Options

I am in the process of building almost exactly what you are thinking of.  I have progress pics that I'll make a separate post for.  Mine is L shaped and the egg sits in the corner and my mini-max sits on the long side.  It has a green tin roof on it.  I used 6x6 rough sawn cedar posts for the outside posts.  I'll name it egg kitchen, keep an eye out.

Jeremy

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @fletcherfam, sounds like a good plan so far, but I agree that you ought to go bigger the 10'-12' deep.  Once you put the kitchen area in and add a table and chairs you are not going to have a lot of room left to move around.  When we moved into our house 9 years ago we had a 10'x10' pad and it was ok, then 5 years ago we had an 18'x24' patio put in.  I have my egg area, which needs to be improved on and room for a table with 6 chairs and a fire pit with room left over.  I have thought of building an outdoor kitchen just haven't found the time or the money yet.  Make sure you have a way to control sparks from the eggs and I wouldn't put it to close to the house.  I suggest drawing something up different ways to see how everything will fit. Sketchup is good free program to do this on you computer at home.

@midwestsmoker, that is an awesome outdoor area and is kind of what I would like some day.  How big is your patio and where about's in the Midwest do you reside if you don't mind me asking?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @midwestsmoker that is beautiful!!  Is that 2 LG and Mini?  Also can you show if your build-in ash vacuum you mention?
    +1 on the built-in vacuum - please tell us more
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stichrunner
    stichrunner Posts: 103
    Options
    very nice. Have been thinking about building one my self. But Wife wants a pool first.
    New Orleans, Louisiana. 
    XL bge, Napoleon Prestige  Pro 665 (gasser) sad that it won't be used much anymore. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    RRP said:
    +1 on the built-in vacuum - please tell us more
    I just use Rockwood....no need for ash removal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't resist !!! I appreciate ya'll putting up with me !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I might consider building the structural portions with steel and then wrapping with wood.  If its going to hold up a bit table, eggs, and granite / concrete countertops, you will want something strong and not needing to be replaced.  And Steel can be easily added onto.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!