Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT need advice on a new TV

Options
2»

Comments

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Think hard about Sharp.  Seems they have an issue with a vertical line showing up.  I have a 2.5 year old Sharp Aquos 70" and this line has appeared about 2-4" on the left side.  By the forums it seems this is an issue.  Sharp is saying the panel is going out, it is not replaceable and only has a 1 year warranty.  Seems like I spent $2700.00 for a TV that has a panel going bad with no replacement.
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1419371-sharp-aquos-lc-70le735u-vertical-blue-line.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Think hard about Sharp.  Seems they have an issue with a vertical line showing up.  I have a 2.5 year old Sharp Aquos 70" and this line has appeared about 2-4" on the left side.  By the forums it seems this is an issue.  Sharp is saying the panel is going out, it is not replaceable and only has a 1 year warranty.  Seems like I spent $2700.00 for a TV that has a panel going bad with no replacement.
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1419371-sharp-aquos-lc-70le735u-vertical-blue-line.html
    Ouch! I have a smaller Sharp Aquos but fortunately have not had this issue yet. Reading those comments makes me a little nervous.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    My provider (FIOS) still doesn't even broadcast in 1080p so 4k wouldn't do much for my decision making process.  However, don't rule TV's out just because they're 4k. 

I have a Samsung smart TV (not 4k) and love it.  I also have an older Sony XBR (not smart TV) and the dark colors are slightly better on the Sony.  If I was in the market for a new TV right now I'd be looking at the Sony XBR series first and Samsung's second.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • ThrillSeeker
    ThrillSeeker Posts: 306
    Options
    Samsung w/ at least a 120hz refresh rate is my opinion.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    have had a sharp aquos for must be 10 years now, no lines here yet. has worked great for me but i hated setting it up. i figure they take the time to set up the tv with the most profit and sales rate at the stores, you get any of them home and as long as you get the right screen and take the time to set up all the colors, contrasts, etc, it will be fine in the home. for me, no shiny screens, my house is lit up with bouncing sun reflection off the lake. whatever you get, it seems you cant tell a difference once its in the home for a few weeks with no side by side comparison, and i swear those sideby sides in the store is a con game =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Add a sound bar with a wireless sub, the sound suffers on these modern flat screens IMO. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGC39VM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UEJWFZTGU51R&coliid=I2VD9LX22L2DC&psc=1  These have great reviews.  I plan on getting one sometime soon.  When they are in stock, amazon has them for $549.  
    Opelika, AL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I had a sony 27" trinitron that lasted forever. Wouldn't die. 

I finally said screw it and decided we needed a new tv. 

Walked in and waved off the salesmen. I ignored prices (written small, thankfully), and brandnames

looked at them all until i found one with a nice picture. Then found another one that i thought was good. I would look back and forth, back and forth from one to the next. When i had the one that was better, i would look for a new candidate. And repeat. Picture only. 

My biggest criteria was levels of black. There was a scene on the promo video where the camera was flying down the geand canyon and came upon a cave that was jet black on almost all the tvs.

but in a couple the cave had many levels of black. I could actually see INTO the cave, where all others were one flat black. 

They were all the same samsung HD LCD. Bought the size I wanted and took it home

it also had a half inch bezel. No stupid frame. Just a clear edge. So a bigger screen fit where another maker's next size down would fit

we still say "man, i love the picture on this thing". Get a high refresh rate too. No laggy pixelation during sports

I had one of those several years ago in 32". Heaviest f'in TV there was. I think it weighed more than my LBGE. 
    Watching Finding Nemo now before going to Finding Dori.

36" Wega, 250lb nutbuster still goin strong. Lol

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    Thanks to all for the different opinions. Yes I did have a 36" Sony trinatron that thing was HEAVY. Anyways I'm at work today and tomorrow BUT I did get a tv yesterday at Best Buy. 

So I've come to the conclusion tv sales people are like used car sales men. I'm glad I did a lot of research before I went in(wife said just go buy a dam tv and stop wasting all your time). The young fella I felt with was knowledgeable in the advantages and disadvantages of each model I rattled off to him. They talked me out of last years model and into this years as there were color changes and HDR. So in the end I got a Samsung un55ks8000 tv. List price was $1799 and it was on sale for $1499. They had a tv that was bought 3 days prior and returned as the lady wanted to go to a 65". It was priced at $1409 and I was able to get them to $1300. Other cool thing was i went to Delaware and no sales tax. 

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options