Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roux in the oven?

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
@nolaegghead @SGH and all you other southern cooks - does it work well to make a dark roux in the oven (or on the egg)?
Making the roux in the house on the stove is one thing, but in the outdoor kitchen I'm thinking it might be a little trickier. Could one start it and then put it on the egg at say 350 degrees and check frequently?
I have no clue so please excuse my ignorance. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Every roux I have made needs constant stirring as you add flour.  Not sure how you would do it in the oven.

Maybe able to use a stone for even heat, then make it on the egg like on a stove top.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SciAggie
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Every roux I have made needs constant stirring as you flour.  Not sure how you would do it in the oven.
    I saw Alton Brown do it on "Good Eats" and I've seen recipes is why I wondered. I agree with your concern. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sure you can my friend. Especially if you are making either a dark roux or a brick roux. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For clarification, making roux in the oven is usually reserved for dark or brick roux's. Not white or light roux's. Above you said "dark" roux. If that's the case you certainly can do it in the oven.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sure you can my friend. Especially if you are making either a dark roux or a brick roux. 
    Yes - dark is the goal. Any tips or cautions? Does 350 degrees indirect and check/ stir every 15 minutes sound reasonable? (Assuming a light roux is already started)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SGH said:
    Yes - dark is the goal. Any tips or cautions? Does 350 degrees indirect and check/ stir every 15 minutes sound reasonable? (Assuming a light roux is already started)
    When it comes to roux I'm a real snob. I myself would stir/check every 5 minutes. 350 degrees is near perfect for a oven roux. If your BGE does not want to hold a perfect 350, then run a tad hotter. Not colder. You can run much hotter but you have to tend to and stir more often if you do. 350 gives you breathing room. For the record, when making oven roux I take it past "white" to "light" before transferring to the oven. That's just me though. 

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    Options
    @SGH Thanks my friend. 5 minutes sounds good - I just plucked a number from the sky. I appreciate the advice. I figured if I needed advice, get it from someone that knows. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive seen a guy make roux in the friggin microwave and it was phenomenal. I laughed at him the whole time he was doing it but joke was on me when all was said and done. 

Little Rock, AR

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist Isn't it funny what you can get away with when you know what you're doing? Which in this case I don't...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @SGH Thanks my friend. 5 minutes sounds good 
    It will take considerably longer than that in the oven my friend. If you start with a light roux, it will take at least 20 minutes to go dark or brick in a 350 degree oven.  If I had to bet, depending on its size (amount of roux) it will be more like 30-40 minutes if you are making 4 cups or more. It's been a while since I done one in the oven so I can't give an exact time, but it will be much longer than 5 minutes for sure. 

Status- Standing by.

• SciAggie
    Options
    SGH said:
    SciAggie said:
    @SGH Thanks my friend. 5 minutes sounds good 
    It will take considerably longer than that in the oven my friend. If you start with a light roux, it will take at least 20 minutes to go dark or brick in a 350 degree oven.  If I had to bet, depending on its size (amount of roux) it will be more like 30-40 minutes if you are making 4 cups or more. It's been a while since I done one in the oven so I can't give an exact time, but it will be much longer than 5 minutes for sure. 
    Oh no - I meant check every 5 minutes as you suggested. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Never made it on the egg but make it in the oven all the time. I use 4 oz oil and 4 oz flour by weight. Which is about 3/4 cup. Wisk in an oven proof pan till smooth then put in a 350 oven for 90 minutes. Whisk every 30 minutes. Comes out peanut butter color or a little darker. Perfect every time.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @NonaScott Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    Options
    NonaScott said:
     Whisk every 30 minutes. 
    I just can not make myself do that. Some habits die hard. Not saying that it won't work. My mind just won't let me do it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Gasp! - But, microwave roux works great too!  I was a non-believer until I tried.  Both work great and eliminate the constant stirring and avoids the oil smell in your house for the most part.  I won't go back to the constant stirring method.  FWIW, I only make dark roux.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I am excited to try this new method.  Never would have thunk it!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    Options
    Ever heard of making roux in a pressure cooker? My grandmother use to do it. 

Status- Standing by.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Never made it on the egg but make it in the oven all the time. I use 4 oz oil and 4 oz flour by weight. Which is about 3/4 cup. Wisk in an oven proof pan till smooth then put in a 350 oven for 90 minutes. Whisk every 30 minutes. Comes out peanut butter color or a little darker. Perfect every time.
     I'm not a roux expert by any means, but I've used this method several times and my amateur gumbo has turned out pretty good. 

Many different websites reference Alton Brown's method but quote it incorrectly. It should be by weight , not by volume. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SGH said:
    Ever heard of making roux in a pressure cooker? My grandmother use to do it. 
    Never heard of that method.  So many cool ways to do something that I have only done with lots of manual/time consuming labor.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I've done it in a microwave for years. Seven minutes max with two stirs for dark roux. Makes gumbo a quick cook. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oven, stove top, microwave, exhaust manifold of '57 Chevy...plenty of ways to do it.  Don't be skeerd to try different methods.  You have about $0.50 of materials invested (1:1 oil/flour).  Screw up, try again.
    Options
    I make a no oil roux in the oven for gumbo.  Spread a layer of flour on a rimmed baking sheet.  Put it under the broiler.  You've got to stir it frequently and it stinks up the kitchen.  Once you get it brown enough, sift it into your gumbo pot and add your stock a little bit at a time stirring constantly until you've got the browned flour incorporated.  Makes a good lower calorie gumbo.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I know this will be sacrilege but once you try it, you'll never go back...
    http://www.food.com/recipe/microwave-roux-60992

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM