Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor kitchen island for BGE

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am building a an outdoor kitchen island and would like to include the BGE with side burners, refrigerator, sink etc. Has anyone seen or built an island with these features for the BGE? Thanks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    oroverde,where do you live??

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    oroverde, here is a link to my outdoor kitchen. Only one Egg in it, but it can be used for any variety of ceramic grills. The link takes you from Day 1 all the way up to the finish...just check the index.[p]odk625-1-1.jpg

[ul][li]Rumrunner's Outdoor Kitchen[/ul]
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    oroverde,[p]Yes, I've seen many. IMO the best idea is to leave the egg exposed in front, otherwise cleaning and vent access will have you leaving the access door open all the time anyway. [p]Besides, the egg is a fine looking accent to any room.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wow now that's a fine example of an ODK done right. Good Job. B)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning oroverde:[p]Below is a picture of the island/kitchen I just finished and the link below is to the website showing start to finish. No side burners or refridgerator (yet on the fridge).[p]closeregg.jpg[p]Hope this helps[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Outdoor Kitchen Link[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    oroverde,

6e74d15d.jpg[p]

Here's my island I finished a couple months ago. The incorporation of the egg was the best part of the planning! Very easy and non-technical to build, just alot of work. If anyone is interested, I have a ton of information on planning and building islands, mostly from steel studs, Hardibacker Board, and stucco. I got alot of excellent infor from Barbques Galore's forum, they have a separate "Island Construction" forum that is packed with good stuff. If anyone is interested, I have some good info., shoot me an email and I will get it to you.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Bar-B-Stu,[p]Bay area, foggy and 58 degrees for this fine July 4.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SSN686,[p]Thanks for the pictures, this was very creative way to get the eggs into a cabinet structure. Very nice! what materials did you use for the cabinets?
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning oroverde:[p]The cabinets were made by a company here in Tampa called Wer/Ever Outdoor Products (www.werever.com). The material is a marine polymer that is supposed to stand up to weather and outdoor use. You can check out their website for more information.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Unknown
    Options
    orion11,[p]This is very nice set up. Has the access to the bottom vent and removing ash been ok? Thanks for the link to the BBQ galore site -- I've posted there as well. Thanks for the advice.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Rumrunner,[p]Very cool design. Did you leave the Eggs in their nests so that they you can roll them out of the doors? Do the door vents provide enough ventilation for the egg to cook without opening the doors?
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    oroverde, yes, they are resting in their nests, so in case of more hurricanes...like last year...I can just roll them to safety by myself. The louvered doors provide plenty of air flow without having to leave the doors open.

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    oroverde,
    No problems so far with access. Although I normally use a shop vac to completely clean out the ash. I get by with pushing the ash down to the bottom, thru the vent holes after a couple short cooks. Then to start fresh, I remove all the "good" lump and then use the shop vac to get it squeaky clean.