Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Certified Repair Location??

Options
I haven't purchased my egg yet. Waiting for deck and patio rebuild project to be completed. Going to have dealer deliver and setup. I am however gathering accessories. I know, backwards. =)  My wife was in a dealer picking up my surprise Father's Day gift  :) and they mentioned they were a "certified repair location" and if I bought my egg from someone who wasn't then I'd have to deal with BGE directly for any warranty issues or parts orders. The place my wife went to is about 20 miles from our house. Not bad for the St. Louis metro area but still would rather purchase from someone closer to the house. The dealer she went to and the one closest to the house are gold dealers. Would the gold dealer two miles from my house be able to exchange parts under warranty or are there different types of gold dealers? Thanks!
XL BGE & Pit Barrel Cooker
OFallon, MO

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    what you want is an authorized dealer, no such thing as a certified repair location.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You just need to get your egg from an authorized dealer. 

http://biggreenegg.com/find-a-dealer/

It looks like the gold, platinum, etc just has to do with how much they stock, but any authorized dealer can handle a warranty claim.  You might get a warranty claim processed more quickly at a gold+ dealer just because they turnover more inventory.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    +1^^

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If it was me, I would visit a few dealers in your area to get a feel for how important BGE is to them. I also like to get a feel for how friendly and service orientated they are. It is surprising the types of businesses carry eggs. Not all of them work that hard on that aspect of the business.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • frankdaddy
    Options
    Go to Hearthside in Belleville IL or Westlake Ace in STL brentwood and manchester
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I do ceramic plasma welding, if anyone is in the New Orleans area.
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, that's what I thought.

@Jstroke  I've been to about five authorized dealers in the St. Louis metro area. I live in the NW suburbs. Largest amount of BGE inventory is probably about a 50+ mile drive for me. The dealer two miles from me has quite a bit, Gold dealer, very friendly and has a great recommendation from Jonathan Heslop who owns the St. Louis Charcoal Co./Rockwood Charcoal. Thinking I will keep my purchase close to home. They have a large selection of rubs/sauces too. 

Now if I can just get the deck people going and finished so the concrete guys can start working on the patio I can get my egg.  :) We have a walkout. Don't want to put it in the table in the garage and then roll it down the hill. I can just imagine all of the things that could/would go wrong with that.  :)
    OFallon, MO
  • frankdaddy
    Options

Listen to Johnathon,

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Sounds like a solid plan
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I find that a 50/50 mix of unobtanium and adamantium makes a paste that forms a better bond/seal than ceramic plasma welding.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    This is the question I'd ask.....  If my firebox breaks and I bring it in, can I walk out with a new one......  If they can't do that, then move on down the list.  I've got a few places around that I can do this with besides the mothership.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I find that a 50/50 mix of unobtanium and adamantium makes a paste that forms a better bond/seal than ceramic plasma welding.
    I usually mix a 50/100 of those elements, I find it gives me better im-plasma-ble bead strength.  And you have to turn the flux-capacitor up to 11.
    Options
    We will need to see the certification credentials!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    We will need to see the certification credentials!

Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Good call with going with a dealer recommended by Mr. "Rockwood".  Patience and it will all come together.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    yep, nola is certifiable =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I usually mix a 50/100 of those elements, I find it gives me better im-plasma-ble bead strength.  And you have to turn the flux-capacitor up to 11.
    Do you pressure wash the interior first?
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    And here's the link to the machine that makes it all possible:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Do you pressure wash the interior first?
    You really don't have to with 150% of the elements and running on 11.
    Options
    My ceramic cracks are ok for now but my flux capacitor is in need of a new flux! Can you help with that?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You should call and see what they mean by that. I know a lot of places make you wait until the next shipment for a replacement part but some dealers keep parts around so they can process your claim then restock their supply once the new part comes in. 
  • jbarnes215
    jbarnes215 Posts: 24
    Options
    I sent an e-mail to the Midwest distributor for BGE who covers the St. Louis area. He said basically the same as @Lit They don't really do repairs often to even the metal parts, usually just a replace, and no way to repair the ceramic parts even though @nolaegghead seems to be certified to do that.  :) Sounds like he was talking about them keeping some spares around in inventory for warranty exchanges on the spot and then the dealer deals with BGE for replacement.

I'm considering purchasing a demo XL from the Belleville, IL eggfest. They have XL demos avail with a placesetter for $1,125. Sound like a good deal? Would you guys recommend doing that and saving some money or purchase from local dealer close to me where I'll be shopping quite a bit? How often am I going to be dealing with warranty issues? Not a lot I suspect. I'm guessing if it was the dealer close to me saving a few $$$ he'd buy the demo.  :)

Thanks!
    OFallon, MO
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @jbarnes215... you might consider going to the dealer that Jonathan recommended and showing him the eggfest price.  Explain that you'd like to do business with him on a long term basis and ask if he can match the price.  Nothing to loose if the dealer is really customer oriented.

From monitoring the forum complaints, the XL seems be the most crack prone.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    yep, nola is certifiable =)
    He must have been day drinking today.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Technically you should be able to handle a warranty claim from any authorized dealer.  It doesn't have to be the dealer you purchased from.  So if you get an egg at a fest you should be able to handle any warranty claims at your closest dealer.  That being said the dealer might be inclined to expedite your request if you bought it from him/her.  Hopefully the dealer would treat you right to earn your accessory/2nd egg business.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.