Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help Cooking Salmon on Alder Plank

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What set-up should I use to cook a fillet of salmon on an alder plank? Am soaking the plank as I write. Should I place the plank on the grid directly over the coals, or should I use the pizza stone, or plate setter, to protect the plank from direct heat?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Chuck/TX,[p]A good friend of mine is a professional salmon guide over on the Oregon Coast. Salmon in this part of the world is almost a religion.[p]At any rate he uses his large Big Green Egg for grilling salmon and often uses the cedar plank deal. He puts the plank right on the grill and lets it heat up for 15 minutes or so before putting the salmon fillets on the plank.[p]Amazing taste![p]Good luck on your first deal!
  • Leohat
    Leohat Posts: 6
    Options
    Chuck/TX,[p]Put the grid directly over the coals. Put the plank on the grid. Put the fish on the plank.[p]The idea is that the plank scorches a bit (burns) and produces a light amount of smoke. The plank heats through and gently cooks the fish. [p][p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Chuck/TX, - Check ou the link - you may just like the results.[p]
    [ul][li]Cedar Plank Salmon[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Gfw,
    Hi Gordon! I thought you had fallen off the pier in Chicago! Welcome back!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw
    Options
    RRP, I was out sailing in Lake Michigan this morning - now we are bhack in Peoria. Mostly we live here from Mon-Fri and spend the weekends in Chicago - love the city, but kind of miss the BBQ. Check out the link (all the way to the bottom) for my new hobby ~:}
    [ul][li]Sailing Chicago[/ul]
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Chuck/TX,
    You've got the right setup with the alder plank. Cedar is
    too oily, which salmon doesn't need. As everyone has said,
    a direct fire, plank on the grill and salmon on the plank. [p]Soaking is only needed if you're going to try and cook it slow,
    under 220F. With a good fire (250-350) the salmon will be done
    in under 12-15m depending on the cut. If it's a filet, I wouldn't
    go over 10m. Don't dry it out.[p]Various rubs/marinades are good (though in the NW, we tend towards
    the simplest herb/butter/lemon). Search the archives.
    best, HS

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies. I used an alder plank this time, but plan to try a cedar plank next time. I ate a small sample of salmon cooked on a cedar plank at the Texas Egg Fest and remember the distinct, fairly strong, flavor from the cedar board. I want to see what my wife thinks about the cedar taste. At this point I'm trying different techniques to see which way we like it best. So far, salmon cooked in a two-sided fish basket (for easy turning),on the grid directly over the coals , with a handful of apple wood chips, has been our favorite. Again, thanks for the replies.

• Unknown
    Options
    HolySmokes, your reply kind of confirms my thinking in several ways. Although I want my wife to taste the cedar plank, I thought it was too strong. We used a marinade today that was a little overpowering. The simple herbs/butter/lemon you mention sounds about right for my taste buds.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Gfw,
    Nice boat. You will have many hours, days and years of enjoyment from it. It's a nice hobby.[p]We had a 23' Aquarius when we lived in Miami in another life and really loved it. Having never been on the ocean in our life it was a bit overwhelming at first but we slowly got the hang of it. Coast Guard Classes are a good thing. Having your boat at a dock close by makes a really big difference in your attitude before and after a day of sailing. [p]I envy you and hope you have a great time.[p]Spring "Anchored Inland" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Gfw
    Options
    Spring Chicken... I spent the first 60 years of my life mostly working and missed a lot of the years that my kids were growing up - my son also lives in Chicago and we have become good sailing friends - maybe it starts to make up for my one real regret in life, not spening enough time with my kids.[p]You are right about having the boat close - in Chicago we live at about 1100 North and the boat is at about 0 North and 3 blocks east - 10 minutes by 'L' or Car - finish for the day and there is always a place to stop for food and a beer (or 2).

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Slight high jack of thread here. [p]I just cooked a 3 lb salmon fillet using Jim Minion's recipe. Google car dogs salmon recipe[p]It was damn good.[p]Toy Man
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    well, I can't complain about you agreeing! the standard NW fare is fish at its freshest, with a very little flavor
    added. that can be lots of things, and it varies for the individual, so I'm glad you have a similar tastes.[p]before we were eggin' with planks, we'd 'slow' smoke a whole salmon in the gasser in foil with lemon slices and butter inside the fish,
    and maybe a few fresh herbs for flavor. I've usually grilled direct recently, but that doesn't mean an indirect fish with very
    little marinade flavor added wouldn't be just as good.[p]best, HS