Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked brisket (the meat, not youse guys)?

Options
Just for giggles, has anyone here ever tried cooking brisket "naked", i.e. just the meat, heat, and smoke vs doctoring it up with rubs?  For a cut with such beefy potential, sometimes I wonder if seasoning takes away from the meat standing on its own.  When I ate what was the second-best steak I've ever had, it was properly aged but had no other seasoning and so all I got was marvelous beef flavors and some oak smoke (that restaurant cooked over oak logs b/c that was the most common fuel source out in CA).

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Never tried brisket this way. I did have a prime filet that was cooked naked. Salt and pepper on the plate with my sides. It was simply amazing. Might have to try a small one that way one time. I don't know if the bark would form very well though.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Salt and pepper is as naked as I would go. If you try it, post the results! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Salt and pepper is as naked as I would go. If you try it, post the results! 
    This is my go to.  Gotta know the S&P enhance the flavor.  Go true naked and let us know.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    We just do salt and pepper now. For some reason the rub we were making just didn't agree with me and would cause stomach upset. I think it was cayenne. We tried some adjustments over time and finally just went with salt and pepper. It's great and I can enjoy it now. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle