Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flank steak - ideas?

Options
JMJ
JMJ Posts: 52
Searing a flank steak tomorrow, and I could use your ideas here. Marinate or not? Marinade recipes? How do you sear it?
My initial plan is to brush it with oil and then sear it (600°F or so) quite quickly on both sides and then let it rest for while before I slice it.

Hit me!

Comments

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Find a good chimichurri recipe. We like one with cilantro and parsley. Marinate the flank steak in half the chimichurri recipe and grill as you plan.. Serve the rest of the chimichurri sauce at the table room temp.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Flank is one of those things that I do not cook very often. However when I do buy them, I like to make pinwheels out of them. I'm kind of odd though. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YouEnjoyMyEgg
    YouEnjoyMyEgg Posts: 168
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I make a lime marinated flank steak that is one of my favorite pieces of grilled meat. I use this very simple marinade and let it sit for 4-12 hours:

1/3 cup fresh lime juice; about 4 - 6 limes

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 green onions; thinly sliced

2 tablespoons ginger; minced

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

salt; to taste

black pepper; to taste

I don't really measure all that stuff but that's what I wrote down a long time ago. :)

That's for about 1-1.5 lb steak.  Slice against the grain.  Salting afterwards brings out the lime flavor even more.  It's delish.

Note - the citric acid in the lime and the salt (soy sauce) are the key ingredients here.  They break down and help tenderize the generally tougher piece of meat.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've done it a bunch of ways, but the one I do most often is a home-made teriyaki style marinade, for most of the day or even overnight.  A girl cooked this back in 1969, I think it was, and I asked for the recipe, been cooking it ever since:

1 flank steak 
    1 cup tamari (good soy sauce)
    1 "glop" honey per the original instructions -- I taste it and add till it tastes right -- a little sweet. 
    1 inch ginger root grated. (She used ground dried, because fresh wasn't available back then.) 
    1 tablespoon dry mustard (I'm guessing on most of these) 
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons Asian roasted sesame oil (I'm guessing again, and this wasn't part of her recipe - I added it.) 

I also like to slice the finished product fairly thinly and at an angle so the apparent "thickness" of the steak is twice what it really is.  Up to you, obviously.

I also made Pacific Rim Glazed Flank Steak, and it was really good, too.  Similar to the one above, but orangey.
  • JMJ
    JMJ Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks to all of you! I had such a fine piece of meat that I decided to just sear it for 2,5 mins per side and then I wrapped it in foil with some garlic butter and let it rest for some ten minutes. Turned out a little to red, next time I'll give it some more time on the grid before resting. Served it with roast potatoes/carrots, a tomato salsa and some mayo flavored with ash from burnt leeks. 

Next time there will be marinade...
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    I make a lime marinated flank steak that is one of my favorite pieces of grilled meat. I use this very simple marinade and let it sit for 4-12 hours:

1/3 cup fresh lime juice; about 4 - 6 limes

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 green onions; thinly sliced

2 tablespoons ginger; minced

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

salt; to taste

black pepper; to taste

I don't really measure all that stuff but that's what I wrote down a long time ago. :)

That's for about 1-1.5 lb steak.  Slice against the grain.  Salting afterwards brings out the lime flavor even more.  It's delish.

Note - the citric acid in the lime and the salt (soy sauce) are the key ingredients here.  They break down and help tenderize the generally tougher piece of meat.

What was your set up of the Egg for this?

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    So much you can do with it. I like to make a paste of olive oil, chopped garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Smear it all over and let it marinade in the fridge for a few hours, then grill it.   
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Soy sauce, ginger, black bean chili paste, plum sauce and hoison sauce, two crushed garlic cloves and rice wine vinegar.  Cut up a couple of scallions and add 1 tsp crushed ginger too.  If you dont own a meat tenderizer, use a steak knife to helpp the marinade get to middle of meat.    

Let er sit overnite in fridge and sear on a hot ci grid direct, totating and flipping every 90 secs amd be sure to let it rest for 10 mins before slicing against the grain

Always a hit whenever i make it