Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found myself in turbo mode again...

Options
CheeseheadinAZ
CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
edited June 2016 in EggHead Forum
Asked the fam what they'd rather have...pork tenderloins or baby back ribs. Ribs it was.  That was 1pm. At the time thought I had plenty of time for a slow cook. Then it was 4:30 and I was still unloading a trunk load from Costco. WTH!!  Now it's turbo mode. Kind of pissed but still happy I'm egg'n. Opened a pint sized bullet and got to it. I did a quick calibration of my smokeware thermometer since I noticed a gap on last cook between it and the DigiQ. Then the thermometer breaks! Good god!  Almost shut down the egg then said f it. We are going to eat some damn ribs!!  So let's do this!

So here we sit (Lambeau) cooling off from a nice 106 day.  
I'll keep you posted on how it goes....
Can't really complain...we are in egg'n mode :)

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Set it where you think it goes and then let it ride
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Sauce'n time @Jstroke you couldn't have said it better "let it ride..."
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Bummer on thermo Bro!  I am debating doing away with all my dome thermos because they are all bent from hitting the food that i elevate on adj rig or that is simply pretty big.  I smoked a chuckroll once and it was insane.   The dome round thermos are a characteristic feature of the bge tho!

Hey love the name of the dog and as the Don Corleone aka Vince Lombardi was quoted as saying, "All your effort in any business should be directed toward taking the risks out of it.  If you don't believe that, give up what you're doing and play the horses."    

the BGE all but eliminates the risk of making bad food......

And hey a buck six aint nothing compared to last weekend!   But when people bitxh about the heat i remind them that if it was 80 here year round we would be more crowded than los angeles.....
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Love how them ribs look
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Take the clip off your dome thermo and let it run loose.  That way it won't impale the meat - it will just push out.
    NOLA
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Looks like all turned out well. 
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    @Jstroke yes quickest ribs I've ever made but they were a crowd pleaser. My son even snuck a slab out the door. Haha. Give a BGE another save! 
  • Jstroke
    Options
    That's awesome and good for you, good for the boy and congrats to the egg. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    I had an interest in bbq and overall outdoor cooking for a long time.  It began with a smoked turkey on thanksgiving in 1994.    But a few yrs ago, when i started with the bge and then sausage equip the wife questioned whether it was a good idea.  well cheeseheads son sneaking a rack is why indid this.  I have boys whonare approaching the years when their buddies will hang around the house.   What i learned is that if you feed kids, they stay around where you can keep an eye on them.  And long term, it is less costly to feed em shoulder and brisket than take out. Plus when you give them food that tastes awesome, well the rest takes care of itself....
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    @westernbbq great frame of mind there!  And that kid that snuck the ribs out the door is 26 yrs old!!  Haha. He raves about about the egg. And any take home leftovers have to be watched closely as his 3 roommates are egg fans as well. I only wish I had the egg when the kids were younger. But our house was the kids fav with good sized media room, pool table in the living room and ping pong table in the dinning room. We always figured it was easier to know what's happening under our own roof. :) sounds like you've got it figured out. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    We have come a long way since the days of johnsonville brats cooked over kingsford charcoal baby!
  • Jstroke
    Options
    We have come a long way since the days of johnsonville brats cooked over kingsford charcoal baby!
    Come on, Nostalgic days of lighter fluid and Matchlight--kettle grills giving out in the bottoms mid-cook, dumping the pork butt into the ashes when we try to add more charcoal, and direct cooks that incinerate burgers--POOF

GOOD TIMES
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    @CheeseheadinAZ: Let me get this right. You wrapped the ribs in foil to start, indirect, and then unwrapped and sauced towards the end? What temp?
    Judy in San Diego
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Browned for 7 min a side direct. 350-400. Then wrapped for indirect cook at 335 for 2 hours. Then unwrapped and glazed indirect heat for about 10. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Come on, Nostalgic days of lighter fluid and Matchlight--kettle grills giving out in the bottoms mid-cook, dumping the pork butt into the ashes when we try to add more charcoal, and direct cooks that incinerate burgers--POOF

GOOD TIMES
    Too funny- don't forget to mention your dad cussing the $%&^*#@!!! out for its instability.  RIP DAD.  you'r emissed and it's too bad you never got to enjoy the goodness that comes off the BGE....