Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to try Shrimp

Options
DaveRichardson
DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
With an upcoming trip to the Redneck Riveria (PCB, FL), I was thinking about possible branching out into shrimp.  I can't do a lot of seafood that has moderate iodine content due to possible imminent death, but the wife can eat it.

What's ya'lls best and easiest shrimp techniques for someone who has never done shrimp?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Peel and marinate in olive oil, garlic, lemon, white white, salt & pepper, and red chili flakes for an hour or so.  Skewer and grill until pink and opaque, basting with the marinade on each side.
    NOLA
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Hot grill, super quick. Once them turn from translucent to opaque they are done. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    We brined some on Sunday with some salt water (first time doing this step) for about an hour. Rinsed and marinated in some Modelo, cilantro, lime juice and the lime peel for about half an hour. Turned out really tasty. Used the leftovers for stuffed poblanos last night and the shrimp was still really tender. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    green lightning shrimp
    http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/05/green-lightning-shrimp/

or stuffed with horsradish and wrapped with prosciutto

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    green lightning shrimp
    http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/05/green-lightning-shrimp/

or stuffed with horsradish and wrapped with prosciutto

THIS
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    The wife doesn't like spicy.....  But I'll try them for sh!tz and giggles with the next gathering at the house.

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dave, 

See my recipe below for shrimp tacos (from Butt Blast).  You can take the heat out or put as much as you want.  

Marinade

Ingredients:

2-3 Green onions

1-2 Jalepeno

2-4 teaspoons Anchio Chile powder

1 Lime zest

1 Lime juice

¼ cup Cilantro

4-5 clovesGarlic

¼- ½ cup Canola oil

2-3 teaspoons Salt - To taste

10-20 grinds of Pepper - To taste

Mixed in a Nutribullet.  Taste for seasoning.  Apply 30 min before cooking.  Brush with unused excess for layering of flavors.  

Mix with shrimp of choice.  I used 28-35 (or something like that) Eastern NC shrimp.  

Sauce:

1 part Ketchup

1 part Apple cider vinegar

½ part Water

½ cup - ¾ cup Brown Sugar

2-3 tablespoons Molassas

Pinch of Salt

15 grinds of Pepper

3-4 tablespoons Butter

1 Chipoltles with 2-3 teaspoons adobo sauce

Red pepper flake to taste

½ - ¾ cup fresh mango

Mix together and let simmer.  Pulse with blender (I used a Nutribullet) to mix mango in.  

Slaw:

½ head White cabbage

¼ headRed cabbage

1-2 Green oninos

½ cup Mayo

1 Lime

1 Lime zest

2-3 teaspoons Salt

5-10 grinds Pepper

2-4 tablespoons Sugar

1-2 tablespoons White vinegar

Mix together.  I made the dressing in the nutribullet which helps incorporate.  Fridgerate overnight for maximum flavor.

Pickled Red Onions

1-3 Red onions

2-3 cupsApple cider vinegar

1-2 cupsWater

Salt to taste

White sugar to taste

Instructions:

Blanch onions in boiling water for 1 min.  Pour in colenger and cool with water and ice.  

Place onions back into the pot.  Place apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and water in pot unitl onions are covered.  

Bring to a boil for one min.  Set off the heat and place in container of choice and chill.  

Building the taco:

Shell of choice

2-3 shrimp

Sauce

Pickled onion

Slaw

Cotija cheese

Cilantro leaf

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I toss shell-on shrimp in olive oil, salt, pepper and seasonings.  usually paprika, garlic powder, oregano - but whatever else you like.  Grill them direct, a few minutes on each side.  we serve them with salad and some good bread and call it a dinner.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    edited June 2016
    Options

Easiest shrimp recipe, I have.

Take one shrimp
    Put some cream cheese, in the bend on the shrimp.

Put one little round jalapeno slice in the middle of the  cream cheese in the bend in the shrimp

Wrap it one piece of bacon, and run A long tooth pick through the center to hold it all together.

Grill on medium - high heat for about 2 - 3 _ish mins per side, to get the bacon crispy.

<I have more shrimp recipes, that is just the easiest, I LOVE shrimp!>

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    OK this is heresy but most of the seafood markets will season it and steam it for you for a small charge. 

This place is awesome.  
    http://www.buddysseafoodmarket.com/locations.html

The sides (potatoes and corn) are great as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I once had some around 16 count and cooked them on the grill-pre egg days. I think the tiger shrimp could be cooked like a lobster.
    Around here some of the markets sell fresh shrimp while others head them and sell tails. I don't think any steam them. Grocery stores do that but only with their imported shrimp.
    Gulf shrimp have a higher iodine content than the Atlantic shrimp.

Bob
    Cooking on the coast
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    shrimp scampi in the wok.....my mantra with shrimp,  think they are done, good chance they are.....
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you on the allergies. I just use skewers and some Old Bay. Recommend wearing gloves as well. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Anyone use planks or salt blocks?

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Anyone use planks or salt blocks?
    I've used planks before. Direct is better according to the wifey. 
  • GulfCoastSmoker
    Options
    The hardest thing about cooking shrimp on the grill is not to over cook them.  The best thing I have found is to skewer them with two skewers (makes them easier to flip).  Depending on the size of the shrimp is how tight I skewer them.  Big shrimp (8-10 count) can handle some space between shrimp on the skewer.  But anything smaller, I skewer them tight together, it makes them not so likely to burn, I also put a piece of onion on sausage on the end to protect the shrimp on the end from burning
  • Beachman
    Options
    I use 26-30's or 21-25's peeled and deveined, marinate in Zesty Italian dressing with a little Dale's for an hour or two. Skewer, put on grill, baste, turn and baste again. Careful-do not overlook. When pink they are done. Use as garnish on salad or serve over wild rice with a lemon butter sauce.
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    This is a really old recipe from the forum that I started making a decade ago.  Really delicious

Pickapeppa’s Peppa-Q-Shrimp

RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk  Posts: 1,506
    March 2005  edited 1:28PM in Seafood
    Ingredients
    • 2 lb Fresh jumbo shrimp, with shells and heads, if possible• 1 bottle Pickapeppa Sauce
    • &#189 Cup Olive Oil• Juice of 2 Lemons
    • 5 Clove Garlic, thinly sliced• &#188 lb unsalted butter, cut into thin squares
    • 1 Tbs coarse-ground black pepper• &#189 Cup beer, at room temperature (Red Stripe is just fine)
    • 1 tsp kosher or coarse sea salt
    • 1 &#189 tsp dried rosemary, crushed

InstructionsPlace the shrimp in a 9x12 ovenproof glass dish. Pour the olive oil over the shrimp, to partially cover it. Scatter the garlic slices over the shrimp, and sprinkle generously with the pepper, salt, and rosemary. Cover all the shrimp with Pickapeppa Sauce, the drizzle with the lemon juice. Marinate the shrimp for approximately 2 hours at room temperature, shaking the dish occasionally.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover the dish with the beer and squares of butter. Bake the shrimp for 10 minutes, rearranging or turning them during the cooking, if necessary, so they cook evenly. They are done when the shells turn red and you can see a space between the meat and the shell.NotesServe the shrimp immediately, with plenty of hot French bread to soak up the sauce.Serves 4Note: If you’d like the sauce thicker, remove the baked shrimp, then simmer the sauce on the stove top till the desired consistency is achieved.Number of Servings: Time to Prepare:
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.  My wife is a little turned off of shrimp since the last ones she had made her sick.  I'm sure I can keep prodding and she will say yes to trying them again!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I have to throw out a South Carolina staple........Shrimp & Grits.......you can thank me later.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have to throw out a South Carolina staple........Shrimp & Grits.......you can thank me later.
    +1 

I've had great luck with http://ruhlman.com/2011/11/butter-poached-shrimp-and-grits/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    My wife loves any shrimp that I coat with Raging River (dizzy pig).  Just do a light coat of olive oil, hit it pretty hard with Raging River, grill raised direct at about 350 for about three minutes per side.  Simple is better.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia