Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AR Rig...

Options
Finally picked it up from the Post Office.https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg/products/large-adjustable-rig-customer-combo-bge..
Got the 13" ceramic stone. Have a 16" stone as well. Boss came back from visiting her family and wants a pizza. Any suggestions on how to set it up? Thinking Spider with the feet down with the 13" stone on top of the Spider. Original grate on top of the AR with the 16" stone on top of it? 
FWIW we have 4 crossbars for the AR, just in case they figure into this...
TIA...

Comments

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    63 views...0 comments...cool...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I usually do spider feet up with stone, and then pizza stone as high on the AR as I can go (I have the extender so I put it on that).
    NOLA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Tom has MANY photos on his site showing different options.
    I normally don't use Spider unless I need every slot on the rig full of food.
    I use the crossbars on the lowest level and my stone on the crossbars.
    This way I can lift out the whole Rig if needed, stone and all.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    The problem is I dont own an AR--However I cook pizza indirect at the gasket level. If I had an AR, I would do this.

buzd504 said:
    I usually do spider feet up with stone, and then pizza stone as high on the AR as I can go (I have the extender so I put it on that).

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    @dougcrann

That's exactly how I do it. It's gonna take a lot to heat up all that ceramic but keeping the 16" stone high in the dome, you're good to go!
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    I don't have the spider but do use the AR with the extender. I place my 15" round ceramic stone on the bottom or middle rung of the AR and place the oval stone on top of the rig extender. Even after approx 10 pizza cooks (doing 4 pizzas each time) I am still experimenting with stone level placement, different dough recipes and the temps for the different dough types. It's been a learning experience for sure.  90% of the pies came out great but a few have gotten away from me. The only downer has been dealing with my bands and the underbite from the high heat cooks. I think I still have the original felt on this pic but I fried it long ago and replaced with a RRP gasket.

Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    @Ivanhoe  I dig the za.

dougcrann,  if thin crust pizza, see if you can do the cook with one stone on the rig or rig extender.  either stone will work.  you want a consistent temp rising off the lump to maintain a constant stone temp.  so, have the lump burning across the top.  

if you run into trouble managing the temps.  then try bigger stone underneath and smaller stone above.  want the bigger underneath so it pushes the heat past the smaller stone above.

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.