Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Lemon

Options
A few days before Memorial Day I discovered a nice big crack in my firebox rendering it useless.  Good thing I kept my old weber kettle for a backup grill because it totally saved my Memorial day Cookout.

I bought my egg from a authorized dealer back in 2012, and I can not find my receipt for the life of me.  The authorized dealer was bought out in 2014 by a new authorized green egg dealer, but the new company threw away all of the old companies records and is unwilling to support my issue.

I emailed Green Egg last week and I have not received any correspondence.  I called the customer support and warranty phone numbers during business hours and it rings off the hook, and then it says operators mailbox is full and says to leave a message. 

Is this how Green Egg does business with customers these days or what?  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Need to get a hold of Bruce and tell them their names and ask is this how BGE wants to conduct business.  

Go to Twitter or Facebook,  someone will have that resolved.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If you registered your egg I'm sure you will be taken care of. I'm kinda curious how your firebox cracked so that you couldnt still use it. Not doubting you, just wondering. 

Little Rock, AR

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Had a fire box in 3 pieces & it worked fine
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Call again. Do whatever you can to get a human. They will escalate. It will be handled. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i have had no response from anyone at bge hq on an issue/question i had and this is going on two months.

they could learn a LOT from kamado joe's customer service

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I'm telling you, go to social media, someone will reply within 30 mins with a number to call or a private message.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Or just pick up the phone and call Bruce at BGE. He does not answer emails. Both my fire boxes and rings have been cracked for over a year. I still use them 3x a week. 

And find another dealer if you have one close. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    ^^ That works too!  His number is floating around somewhere.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My FB has been cracked for well over a year. Doggone now it's rendered useless. Really?
    Contact Bruce. Nancy Boy 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Or just pick up the phone and call Bruce at BGE. He does not answer emails. Both my fire boxes and rings have been cracked for over a year. I still use them 3x a week. 

And find another dealer if you have one close. 
    It's 2016.. If Bruce is so dang good at customer service, email is required.. no offense.

I get the OP's ire. I tried to go direct for an issue, and I LIVE less than 40 min from the HQ's.. Couldn't get an e-mail, or a phone reply from ANYONE at Big Green Egg.

Thankful my dealer was able to take care of me. Slowly.. and surely..
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    OP.. try different numbers at the HQ's.. beyond that.. call another dealer. They can all help you, it's a matter of how willing they want to be.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    oh for us who pine for the "old days"...way back in '06 the band on my small broke in an unconventional way. I called Hotlanta and who did I get? Ed Fisher himself! He shipped me a replacement that very day for no charge! Yes, THAT was customer service on steroids! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree that they should answer emails. But they don't. We can complain about what they don't do or just do what they respond to. I have never heard of anyone not getting service from Bruce when the claim was legit...or even when a dog was chained to their egg in a storm and git pulled over. Could they be more responsive? Sure. But the fact remains that it has a lifetime warranty and it will get handled. I'm way more disappointed in the POS dealer than BGE. 
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    Indeed.. I think if BGE authorizes a dealer, they've vetted them and told them how to deal with the purchase, and care of a customer.

You pay a premium and expect premium service, and the dealers are at the front lines.

But to have a full voice mail, and not answer emails.. but you have to sign up for facebook and twitter, and put them on blast.. a bit of a stretch in both odd directions.

Perhaps a reason BGE is sliding a bit, and other companies like KJ are nipping at their heels. I've had good luck in the past, and currently, slowly, working on getting my base replaced after a large crack appeared on the bottom of it. I'm sure I'll be waiting a while...
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I am just going to put it out there--- it could be with a holiday week and the start of summer they have more calls and less people to resolve this. Let's put it another way. Bruce handles all warranties---maybe he is on vacation. I know we live in the world of instantaneous gratification but ---A, you can cook on a cracked fire ring just so you are aware. B---it will be resolved. Just not tonight. It's a slightly offbeat problem to have a dealer go out of business and then you have a warrenty claim. Patience grasshopper---wax on, wax off
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

BGE should hire some people from Thermoworks.  

I know things eventually get handled, but it should have to be taken public.

I called vitamix last week.  Never registered.  Guy (real person) took the serial number and told me a new canister would be sent out.  I didn't even get put on hold.

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    @robla103 at least you got signed up on the forum.  Thats half the battle ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Improvements can always be made. Period. And all kidding aside I understand @robla103 angst toward BGE's customer service.  I have yet to have the need to contact them by email, call or send a message via pigeon carrier. Then again I have 4-7 dealers within a 4 county span. I prefer to address and handle minor issues at the lowest level possible. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm currently waiting on a email response as well. Mine isn't an emergency yet, but I'd call the Mothership if it was. 
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Call me cynical, but I see a post ridiculing the egg and propping up a webber kettle to save the day, makes me wonder if the weber boys over at the brethren aint sent out a troll to the egghead forum they seem to despise just to stir up a dust-up. 

Little Rock, AR

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    And a note to all new Eggers, Save your receipt!
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Bruce took care of me...via E-mail just saying... he is awesome ....since I have a **** dealer that wouldn't do a damn thing 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Bruce seems like a Ninja! 
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You've had the egg for 4 years, found a crack in a part that does not render the egg useless, and are calling the product a lemon?  That makes no sense.

Sorry about the issue with your dealer, but you having troubles with them doesn't make the product a Lemon.

Bad choice of subject title, but glad you found the forum.  The guys here will help you out.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Crack is whack! 
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options

drama is whack.

Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    When life gives you lemons ......
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    You've had the egg for 4 years, found a crack in a part that does not render the egg useless, and are calling the product a lemon?  That makes no sense.

Sorry about the issue with your dealer, but you having troubles with them doesn't make the product a Lemon.

Bad choice of subject title, but glad you found the forum.  The guys here will help you out.
    Ha. Didn't even notice it was a 4 year old egg. Mine crack within a year or so of when I finally decide to replace them. Both boxes and rings are broken now and have been for a while. Nobody told me they were rendered useless so I just keep cooking on them.