Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think my Farkin XL is CRACKED

Options
I was cleaning up the XL and the Med in preparation for tonight's dinner.  I am cooking Ribeyes and Sea Scallops on the Med, but thought I would heat up the XL to clean up some from last weekends cooking of butts and chicken.

I kept smelling something that didn't seem quite right and then lo and behold I saw smoke coming from under the egg.  The temperature was about 450-475.  There was a pile of crease on the tile under the egg and it was running off the back of the table.

I have closed it down and just have to wait until it is completely out and cooled down before I can remove the KAB and have a look, but from the pics I was able to take with my cell phone (in a awkward position) I can't see any other reason for the grease and smoke coming out the bottom.

Dam the bad luck, will call the dealer first thing in the morning.  I am sure they will take care of it, but I am sure glad I bought it from a dealer with the whole "lifetime warranty" package attached to it.

Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Looks like one linear area and one round blob of grease that aren't connected?

She could just be sweating out some goo...
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    well, I hope not, depending on distance you might get the dealer to put it back together if it is
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    Might not be a crack. I've had stuff ooze out of my Egg after a lot of low and slows and then cooking at high temps. Was it smoke coming from the Egg or grease burning off? Fingers crossed it's just that.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Welcome to the club. Have had more cracks in the last year than I can count. Cooked a brisket in our XL. This XL consists of a warranty base, warranty firebox (second of both) and a warranty fire ring. Anyhow, this was the first cook in it. Heated it up the next day to find a puddle under it. Contacted Bruce, out of frustration. He asked for pictures. This crack is barely visible. He did tell me that he has on reared occasion heard of Eggs sweating...but with the amount of grease you have I doubt it. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The base of my large has been cracked for a couple of years now. Firebox too. One of these days, I really should contact a dealer about replacements. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut