Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bosco where are your cooks?

Options
@bosco0633 where you hiding?  Miss your killer cooks.
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    Options
    lol I am still cooking away.  I have been spending some time perfecting my bread recipe and think I am finally where I need to be

Here was my latest loaf of sourdough bread

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Oh wow. Just wow. Yes. Post more. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL , the bar was just set really high for bread !

That looks outrageous. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bosco0633
    edited May 2016
    Options
    thanks guys it has been a work in progress but I am finally making consistent bread
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That last pic is awesome-

Greensboro, NC
  • bosco0633
    Options
    sourdough is some crazy bread and makes for good photography!!
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    bosco0633 said:
    sourdough is some crazy bread and makes for good photography!!
    Are you happy we twisted your arm into baking. 

That shot is old, what have you been making lately. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    I have yet to attempt bread. That looks amazing. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @bosco0633 Killer crumb on that shot. What was your hydration on that loaf?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Pass da butta.....I'm going in.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @bosco0633 Killer crumb on that shot. What was your hydration on that loaf?
    The oven spring is great as well. That's a beautiful loaf. Is this from the egg?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bosco0633
    Options
    It was roughly 65% hydration level.  I kept my hand wet while doing my stretch and folding so maybe closer to 70% when all said in done.  My technique is complete and I started using the oven but have successfully baked on the grill using a dutch oven and baking stone.  I enjoy the imparted smoke profile on the loaf when cooked on the grill.  

I am hoping to do a few loaves either this weekend or start of next week.  I was away so I refrigerated my starter, but have taken it out today and fed it.  I will feed it twice before I make a pre-ferment.  

This shot was a few weeks ago, and I have been playing with my proofing baskets and times for proofing.  I have been finding the 6 hour mark to be the magic spot in my kitchen for a nice rise
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bosco0633 Thanks for the information. I would love to hear your workflow. I have an ongoing mission to perfect my loaf; it's great you have found a method that you are happy with. I still can't consistently get the beautiful open crumb you have. Sometimes I get it, but then I can't reproduce it on the next 5 loaves...
    Again, thanks for posting. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    wow. very inspiring
    Mamaroneck
  • bosco0633
    Options
    I have really loved learning bread making following the Josey Baker Bread Book.  He uses a simple method and I have learned a few things from mistakes that has wound me up with what is working for me.  

My starter is a whole wheat starter 
    I have come up with the following
    40g starter
    105g ww flour 
    120g of 15C water

I make this every other day and leave it on the counter.  One it has risen, I wait until it begins to drop before I take a sample for my pre ferment.  I have a very active yeast starter for SD bread.  It started out very slow, however, it is rises and gets active quickly now.  So I usually take a sample after 12 hours minimum after feeding.

Pre Ferment
    I follow Josey Baker Bread for 1 loaf, double for 2 etc

15g starter
    120g 15C water
    105g of whole wheat flour

mix that all up and cover with lid over night 12 hours minimum

Dough

240g of 27C water mixed into the pre ferment
    375g of bread flour (I like mixing white flour with my ww pre ferment)
    12g sea salt

mix that all up so all the flour is mixed and cover.  This will be a thick mixture now to start.  Let it rest 30 min, then do a stretch and fold all around the bowl.  I do 10 stretch and folds.  Let it sit 30 min, then do another stretch and fold.  Repeat for a total of 4 stretch and folds over 2 hours from mixing.  I wet my hand each time so that it doesn't stick and it adds a bit of liquid to the dough.  

bulk rise
    Now I cover my dough again and leave the dough.  I find when I put SD in the fridge it sucks and I have a dense loaf that doesn't rise well.  I leave on the counter and don't touch it for 8 to 12 hours, literally waiting for the dough to double in size.  I use a large cambro with measurements on the side to assist with the double.  Once it doubles you can go to the next stage.  

I add some flour to the counter, and pour the wet dough out of the bowl.  I then form my loaf.  I like round hearth loaves so I just use a bench scraper to drag it to me and turn, this creates a perfect round ball.  

After it is formed i sprinkle rice flour in a brotform and dump the rounded dough smooth side down.  Now I cover the loaf and let it proof.  Josey baker recommend 3 to 4 hours, but again, I like to let it rise a bit more.  I found 6 hours on the counter to be my magic number.  

Around hour 5, I heat a dutch oven at 475.  

Once the temp is good to go I dump the proofed loaf onto a piece of wax paper and slice the top and place into dutch oven for 20 min with lid on.  After the 20 min, I remove the lid and cook a further 20 min.  

That is what is working for me.  

I hope this makes sense and can help you out. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    My friend this is very helpful and makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to post - that's a bunch of keystrokes. I appreciate it. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Bosco, thanks for the recipe.  We love doing bread on the egg....Nothing better that butter slathered on fresh hot bread.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    Dude. I so want to live in your house.  And thanks for the detailed info.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bosco0633
    Options
    If anyone is looking at getting into bread making, I highly recommend the Josey Baker Bread Book.  I have purchased a few of bread making books and I find that this one is by far the most comprehensive to date!

As you go on, you will develop some steps that make the bread work to your liking, but this is a great starter book for anyone
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I have been using Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast with good results. I will purchase this book as well!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Wow, Wow, and Triple Wow !!  I'm still working on Friendship and Flowerpot bread !!!  Still haven't succeeded yet !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bosco0633
    Options
    GlenM that is some crazy looking stuff right there.  You are killing it my friend.  I have that book as well, but it was a little too advanced for when I started.  A buddy on another forum recommended that book to me as well.  Once I finish all the exercises in my Josey Baker Bread book, I will jump over to that one.  

Looks like I will be picking your brain too for some help along my bread making journey.  

Incredible 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I didn't find it too complicated, I haven't made a starter yet but using a poolish and leaving it overnight seems to work well for me.  
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bosco0633 I bought the Josey Baker book and have some sourdough started right now (starting the starter). My bread is ok, but nothing as good as yours. Thanks for the information.

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Have any of you experimented with 'wild yeast'?  That is, sit and let the yeast around us take over.  Thinking of getting more into bread and this method sounds interesting.  Will also have to check out that book.  Thanks!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • bosco0633
    Options
    That is sourdough starter 
  • bosco0633
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @bosco0633 I bought the Josey Baker book and have some sourdough started right now (starting the starter). My bread is ok, but nothing as good as yours. Thanks for the information.

That looks good to me.  Next time let it proof a tad longer to get a bit more of an open crumb. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    bosco0633 said:
    lol I am still cooking away.  I have been spending some time perfecting my bread recipe and think I am finally where I need to be

Here was my latest loaf of sourdough bread

Holy cow that is beautiful.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    Options
    😂😂😂