Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick ash basket

Options
Worth the $$$? Can it completely replace the cast iron fire grate? Works as well as advertised? Thanks!

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I've been fairly judicious when it comes to accessories for the BGE and I do not regret buying my KAB. I will add that I also still have and leave the grate in, but I don't see how the KAB wouldn't be enough by itself.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Depends on what size egg you have. I have one on my medium simply because I kept knocking around my stock fire grate with the ash tool. There's absolutely no way I'd ever consider buying one for my XL as the fire grate is of substantial size and weight. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I've been fairly judicious when it comes to accessories for the BGE and I do not regret buying my KAB. I will add that I also still have and leave the grate in, but I don't see how the KAB wouldn't be enough by itself.
    I agree. I can tell the temperature difference in the vent settings with the KAB with the stock grate. It also keeps the smaller pieces of lump from falling through the KAB onto the ceramic base with the fire grate in place. It makes clean up a breeze with the basket. A great accessory in my opinion 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    I have the KAB in my large and small with no fire grate. Wish I had one for the mini.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    If this were Friday night your question would have sparked a flame war! I personally have my large and small equipped with KAB and love them! A guy spends hundreds of dollars on a BGE and then gets all dog tied for something like a KAB or a Smoke Ware that BGE should have jumped at the idea before the popularity of both products exploded! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    I have a large and the KAB is great for both temp and clean out. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I have a KAB in my MM and I like that I can pull the hot coals out without waiting for them to burn out. Makes transportation easy.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Have one for my large, works great. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    If this were Friday night your question would have sparked a flame war! I personally have my large and small equipped with KAB and love them! A guy spends hundreds of dollars on a BGE and then gets all dog tied for something like a KAB or a Smoke Ware that BGE should have jumped at the idea before the popularity of both products exploded! 
    What I was trying to get across was MY purchases of 2 KAB plus a couple Smoke Ware caps were made with MY money. That means NO SKIN off "your nose". We have some folks on here who get all riled and I just don't get it! If I want to buy a sous vide unit instead of using a crock pot then SO WHAT? If I want to spend money for steaks from a butcher shop instead of some sh*t from a cut rate grocery then SO WHAT? IT'S MY MONEY!

Oh never mind...good night...
  • Huntnfish72
    Options
    Have you been in all my eggs /kamado joe cookers.   Took the stock grate out.   Works great 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have a KAB on each, my Large Egg and my KJ Jr.
    Love them both!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes worth the $$.  New convert here, thanks @NPHuskerFL, you'll love it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    I don't think a day goes by on here anymore that Ron doesn't get his panties in a wad. Looking at this thread, I can't figure out why tonight. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I don't think a day goes by on here anymore that Ron doesn't get his panties in a wad. Looking at this thread, I can't figure out why tonight. 
    Wow, just read that.  Peace.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what to buy, but I will never own an egg without a KAB or Smokeware cap.  

Nessesary? no, but neither are eggs.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blasting said:

I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what to buy, but I will never own an egg without a KAB or Smokeware cap.  

Too PC brother!  But I agree.  KAB's make cleanup a breeze which is why everyone should own one. ;)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Got to tell you, after my fire grate exploded on my XL, I got a KAB. I have been using my XL without the stock grate for a year and a half, in all weather, without the first issue. I have them in both my eggs, and they are my favorite accessory to my egging, thus and by, far. 
    I have had contact with several others that own an XL and use the KAB without the fire grate, and have done so, for years, and have had zero issues.
    From my experience, it has worked, others may have stories that will differ, I suppose. My luck has been stellar.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LOL

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blasting said:

Too PC brother!  But I agree.  KAB's make cleanup a breeze which is why everyone should own one. ;)

I was saving the hard push for the one critical accessory no self respecting griller would be without - MANGRATES!!
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blasting said:
    bgebrent said:
    blasting said:

I was saving the hard push for the one critical accessory no self respecting griller would be without - MANGRATES!!
    ****! :o
  • Texag06ish
    Texag06ish Posts: 135
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've been debating on getting for my XL. Even keeping the stock grate, I bet it would really shorten clean up. 

Can an anyone provide some insight?
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I cleaned out the eggs, they are my favourite purchase 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    I normally don't reply to KAB threads anymore, my preferences have been noted.  
    I will say that I only remember one EHF member who actually owned one and didn't like it, but I think he was a trump supporter, or hillary supporter (haha, hillary wears a supporter!)
    I'm on vacation, so it's Friday night for me, haha byte me!  :triumph:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    An now I'm outta bear so gunnight!  >hic<

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm excited for my KAB for the large as well as the woo I ordered from the CGS late last week. They should get in today. This thread just confirms I made a good choice. Thanks again fellow eggs bros.

I'm still not sold on the smokeware cap (yet). 
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    You asked. Yes
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Yes, I have one in my large.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    RRP said:
    It would have been 3X the price. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have an XL and have been thinking of getting one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Mayasfor out for it for Father's  Day.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    So I'm convinced I need another accessory.....am I understanding that using the KAB only the air flow is increased thus the vents close up a little to maintain the same temp...
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX