Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with cook for 2 briskets in XL

Options
I've got 2 - 18lb briskets I'm looking to cook for a graduation dinner and only one XL BGE.  Looking for any tips or configurations.  I'll obviously need to setup a 2nd tier.  Has anyone done this before?  Was also wondering if I'll need to expect a longer cook doing this with 2 instead of the typical one brisket cook.

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Cheesehead-

If you dont have the adj rig setup you can make a two tier setup  from a weber grate and bolts with washers.  I had not tried but it doesnt look like itll be hard.    As to time, as long as both slabs have space between them for air to circulate, your cook time is a time unit per lb of just one of them.   I make briskets at 210F to 220F for 1.5 hr per lb and up heat to 275 for last couple of hrs.    

What part of wiscy are you from?
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Thanks Westernbbq.  I'm going to try and get an AR in time but cutting it close. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2016
    Options

Not even a challenge with the XL and the Adjustable Rig. If your in a pinch just make a 2nd raised cooking grate using a Weber 22" grate.
    Below is brisket with 2 nine pound butts on top on a Large BGE.
    I wanted to use my XL for wings and stuff so just put the big stuff on the Large. You will be fine on the XL.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Thanks Westernbbq.  I'm going to try and get an AR in time but cutting it close. 
    you bet.  Call tom, tell him some crazy bastard in the commercial real estate business in az says hi.     He will laugh and then he will take care of you and get you what you need.

Once you get the adj rig you will wonder how you got alomg without it.   It "lives" in my bge both the large and the XL.   Absolutely a womderful accessory that adds capacity and flexibility beyond imagination.   
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    If you have a rib rack, just lay it under the brisket to shorten it's length...I use a XL and never have had a problem putting two 15 LB briskets on, but I use something to raise the center of the briskets up, in order to shorten the length.

If briskets are not packed in tight together....same cooking time for 2 as with 1.

Do you need the 2nd tier for the briskets ????   You should not, in my experience.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have seen people use a V-rack to cook 2 briskets.   Basically one brisket on the grid, the inverted V-rack sits on the bottom brisket, drape the top brisket over the v-rack perpendicular to the bottom.   Might be a backup plan if you don't get the rig in time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have seen people use a V-rack to cook 2 briskets.   Basically one brisket on the grid, the inverted V-rack sits on the bottom brisket, drape the top brisket over the v-rack perpendicular to the bottom.   Might be a backup plan if you don't get the rig in time.  
    You could lean them both against a v rack on their sides like a teepee. I bet they shrink enough to finish flat anyway. I've seen 2 side by side on an XL but not 18 lbers.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    I'm doing two on thursday night as well.  Using AR and lots of love!!!!
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Cheesehead-

If you dont have the adj rig setup you can make a two tier setup  from a weber grate and bolts with washers.  I had not tried but it doesnt look like itll be hard.    As to time, as long as both slabs have space between them for air to circulate, your cook time is a time unit per lb of just one of them.   I make briskets at 210F to 220F for 1.5 hr per lb and up heat to 275 for last couple of hrs.    

What part of wiscy are you from?
    This is my set up above on my XL.  I have 3.5" SS carriage bolts with nuts and washers. on a 18" Weber grate.

That is a 18 lb brisket on the bottom and 2-9 lb pork butt's on top.  Beer cans or bricks covered in foil should work as well.  Most HD or Lowe's sell extra Weber grill grates.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    18" Weber makes my upper grid, as well. I spaced mine 5-1/2" above main grate.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• CheeseheadinAZ
    CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the help gang. I did go visit my friends at Home Depot and put together this. Got them both in!
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    This did end up working good and post stall they shrunk enough to put them side by side. However I think I will pull the trigger for the AR.  I think I'd like the ease of adding wood or pulling the stone for switching to direct cook on the xl. 
  • westernbbq
    Options
    @CheeseheadinAZ,  the brisket thread keeps timing out on my handheld.  My kids need to clear out and reset it amd then i can load all the picts on mem day brisket cook thread

Looks good there and multi level cooks will elevate to a whole new level with AR.

Im 1 mile south of camelback rd around 44th street

When packers were here for cards game a few mos ago i smoked briaket and shoulder and all of it was spectacular...
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    I grew up in Racine Wisconsin and went to school at UW -Eau Claire
  • westernbbq
    Options

KRINGLES!  Rasberry are the BEST!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I find you get better heat distribution staying with one level as the bottom layer seems to get less heat than the top layer.  Here is a pic of an XL swalling up 27lbs of wagyu briskets. We do use a stainless bowl under each to help fit over our drip pan. A v-rack can do the same if needed.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I can vouch for the temp difference Smitty noted. Just finished 6 pork butts and the 3 on the bottom had to cook ab out 20 minutes longer to finish.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Yes I had the same results with the briskets. Even after fitting both briskets on lower grip after the stall, the one that previously was on the lower grid took 2 hours longer.  I had planned a 4 hour FTC so I had plenty of time for cooking variations. 
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    OMG!  Where do u live...I"ll bring the coffee and milk! Haha. 

• westernbbq
    Options
    Its already gone Brotha!    I still cat get iver how we were talking about kringles two days ago and momma hauls one home last nite. The last one which happened to be raspberry.   The best!     But Trader Joes is getting more fyi.    

Now, if i could find a decent cream puff somewhere, we would really be in business!

Whenever i fly to WI my left ventricle slams shut on final approach to mitchell field.   beer, brats, custard, kringle, cream puff, fish fry and butterburgers

Yikes!
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Haha. So true. Where did you grow up in Wisconsin?
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Milwaukee.  South side.