Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt

Options
I am going to try to do a turbo butt Sunday after church.  I have never down one.  What do I need to know?  Thanks for your help.

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Regular setup, 350-ish, beer. That is all. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    What he said

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    I second the motion
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Disagree.  Bloody Marys if you go to church early.
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    350. Till internal approx.. 165. Wrap in tin foil till approx 200,  save juices to add to butt when you pull it.  put on at 1, will be eating at 6, enjoy!!!

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Best part is there is no stall at that temp. I've never foiled a turbo butt; don't see a need. I like bark!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Question. In a turbo butt with the temp at 350 how long do the wood chunks give smoke? Are folks happy with the smoke flavor from these turbo cooks? It is an intriguing method for sure.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The wood chunks give smoke as long as they are smoking.  You only need 3-4 chunks in the lump.  I don't wrap but that's personal preference.  If you wrap you compromise the bark, again, personal preference.  Leave it unwrapped until IT and the hold for 30 minutes before pulling.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I think wrapping kills the bark. You want it to look like a space rock the killed the dinosaurs!!!!  That's barky goodness!

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Main thing to remember is keep the sugar content to a minimum when cooking at 350 because it will scorch and give an off taste. Run the butt at 350 indirect with an elevated drip pan till it lets loose.  Generally about 200-205 but you should start checking around 190 or so.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Skip church and put the magic into a low and slow.
    Is there any benefit to using a liquid in the drip pan?  Maybe Coke, Dr. Pepper or even a beer?  I am going to do 15 lbs tomorrow to help with a neighbor for his daughter's grad party.  I like the idea of the turbo.
    Lakeville, MN - LBGE (August 2013)