Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

platesetter or adjustable rig or woo3

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since i still have a few days till my LBGE gets here, i'm trying to accessorize. I was planning on getting a platesetter at PA eggfest. Then i started looking at the adjustable rig or woo3 from ceramic grill store. I read a few post back from GG that he has both a platesetter and adjustable rig/spider combo and uses the adj rig 99% of the time.

Anyways, so here's the question. Is it a waste of money to get a platesetter and an adjustable rig? I was also thinking about the woo3 but it seams like most people are using the adj rig/spider combo. thoughts?

highpress

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Some of those more "ole time" than me will chime in, but I usually tell new egg buyers to get the platesetter when they buy their egg as well as the ash tool.

I think Thirdeye's grid lifter is better than the grid tool from BGE.

I have the spider/AR and love it. Like GG I probably use some combo of it on 99% of my cooks. But sometimes the platesetter is just the right thing for a particular cook. Pizzas come to mind.

Just my 2 cents worth...
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    THe platesetter should probably come with the egg in my opinion. It's a vital tool. true the spider/rig does it all but I prefer the platesetter/woo options. I find the multiple settings on the Adj Rig too incrementally small. Normal or raised grid level is enough for me.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    You will get a lot of different responses on this and it will all boil down to personal preference. I have never owned a plate setter but have cooked with one several times. I found it to be bulky, heavy, fragile and just generally hard to handle. I have the adjustable rig with spider and can do anything the plate setter can do without worry about anything breaking. The AR gives much more flexibility in usage and setups over either the woo or the Plate setter. No matter which you get, it will help you cook more diversified. Just my .02. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Jersey Doug
    Options
    Our first Egg was a Small. I started out cooking with a platesetter. As soon as we bought a set of GrateMates (which have much of the functionality of the AR) I put the platesetter away and haven't used it since. When we bought the Large Egg we also bought the AR and didn't bother with a platesetter at all. As others have said, you can do it all with the AR (or the GrateMates on the Small).
  • Kurrgo
    Kurrgo Posts: 23
    Options
    Popsicle said:
    You will get a lot of different responses on this and it will all boil down to personal preference. I have never owned a plate setter but have cooked with one several times. I found it to be bulky, heavy, fragile and just generally hard to handle. I have the adjustable rig with spider and can do anything the plate setter can do without worry about anything breaking. The AR gives much more flexibility in usage and setups over either the woo or the Plate setter. No matter which you get, it will help you cook more diversified. Just my .02. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    How do you do indirect cooking with the AR?  
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    Never had a plate setter. I got an AR as soon
  • KeithEGG
    KeithEGG Posts: 10
    Options
    In my opinion a plate setter is a must if you really want to get the most out of your Egg. I have done bread, pizza, calzone with it. Some meat with it and of course meat with out. I just did Scotch eggs for breakfast today using the plate setter.
    BGE XL
    Indianapolis
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    IM(very)HO, no need for platesetter if you get an adjustable rig, and the AR is far more versatile.
    Mamaroneck
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations on the new egg. I have an XLBGE and started with a plate setter. Then I purchased a rig from CGS and the plate setter has set in the garage ever since. The CGS set up can be configure in many ways and much easier to change up mid cook.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Yeah, very happy with my AR and spider.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I have a small family, wife and daughter who is 2.  For 99% of my cooks I use the Platesetter/Woo combo.  

I like the AR but just don't use it enough (no large volume cooks) for my needs, however with the stone and Spider it's definitely a good buy.  I use the stone and spider more.

If I were to do it again, is buy the PS/Woo with the Extender and Soider as add ons.  

Just my $0.02.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA