Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs weren't tender enough

Options
Went with the 3-2-1 method on spares. Foiled, added apple juice, butter, brown sugar, Tiger Sauce ala Trigg. But they just weren't anywhere near what I expected regarding tenderness. You think I may not have added enough juice to the equation? Is there a specified measurable amount? Wondering where I went wrong.
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Did you cook them long enough? They should pass the bend test(pick up one half and the other should bend 90 degrees) or the tooth pick test(probe between the bones without resistance).
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    I may have rushed them, the result of the probing were not definitive, but I figured after 6 hours they should be ready.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    time matters not, only texture
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I agree, @NoobZero, that it seems awfully surprising that 6 hours, including 2h wrapped, wasn't enough to get a rack of baby backs done.  That seems really odd to me, and I can't help wondering about the temperature.  You didn't say what the dome temperature was, and maybe you might want to check its calibration with boiling water.

Many people here smoke ribs at 225° or even lower (dome temperature), but many of us, and I'm definitely one, think we get better smoke and better results in general when the Egg is at or above 250°.  I usually try to keep my Egg at 250°-275° for ribs.

But I agree with the others, and pretty much everybody on this forum agrees: with ribs you don't cook to time or temperature, but to tenderness.  Regardless of the time, regardless of the internal temp, you don't take them off until they're demonstrably tender enough, either by the toothpick test (almost no resistance going into a meaty part) or the bend test (about 90°).
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Did you pull the membrane off?
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Bingo.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I don't think the membrane will make a difference to how tender the meat gets, I do pull the membrane off but one time it was really difficult and ended up leaving most of the membrane on and the ribs turned out fine.

Gerhard
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    NoobZero said:
     I figured after 6 hours they should be ready.
    Cant rush them. If they are tough, it is always because they are ubderdone
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Wally327
    Wally327 Posts: 4
    Options
    As an egg novice I really shouldn't say much, but I have done two different rib cooks and noticed a difference in tenderness. The only thing I did different was the amout of liquid I had in the drip pan on the plate setter. No sure if that was the cause or not. Thoughts?
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    It would make sense to me that the liquid will affect the cooking temperature.  For what it is worth I don't use any type liquid in the egg.

Gerhard
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The membrane can make a difference. The only person I've read about who didn't remove it took his temp on an offset cooker to 450 just before the finish to burn them away.

Liquid doesn't make any difference in an Egg. It just cools the air, and slows the meat reaching the temp where the connective tissue breaks down. But not all ribs are the same. While most hogs are currently raised in a very uniform method, some producers sell slightly meatier and/or fatter slabs. That can make a difference.

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    gdenby said:
    The membrane can make a difference. The only person I've read about who didn't remove it took his temp on an offset cooker to 450 just before the finish to burn them away.

Liquid doesn't make any difference in an Egg. It just cools the air, and slows the meat reaching the temp where the connective tissue breaks down. But not all ribs are the same. While most hogs are currently raised in a very uniform method, some producers sell slightly meatier and/or fatter slabs. That can make a difference.

This. 

The only way liquid vs no liquid could affect tenderness is if you cook to the same time, and the egg with the water pan is at a liwer temp due to the heat sink

if your vents are set the same, the one with the waterpan will be a little lower, as the BGE tries to boil the water away (which it really can't). That lower temp means the ribs would take longer

water pans are actually for temp management. They don't keep meat more moist
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    The membrane was removed.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    gdenby said:

This. 

The only way liquid vs no liquid could affect tenderness is if you cook to the same time, and the egg with the water pan is at a liwer temp due to the heat sink

if your vents are set the same, the one with the waterpan will be a little lower, as the BGE tries to boil the water away (which it really can't). That lower temp means the ribs would take longer

I usually use a water pan directly under the meat in order to keep fat drippings from burning and creating a nasty smoke flavor on the meat - is this necessary?  I'm frankly not savvy enough to use water for temperature management, though I understand the concept.  
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    How flexible was the rack prior to cooking? I choose racks that feel soft and flexible when shopping for ribs. Racks that are stiff tend to be tough when cooked.
    I don't wrap my ribs. I cook to tender. Check between ribs with toothpick.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Only can be temp wasn't high enough. Never seen a rack of ribs not be fall apart after a 3-2-1 even at 225.  Regarding the membrane, most restaurants leave them on and they're still tender so I don't think it's that. Me thinks your temp was incorrect. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Try Turbo next time. You'll like it, much simpler and the ribs will be tender. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    gdenby said:

This. 

I usually use a water pan directly under the meat in order to keep fat drippings from burning and creating a nasty smoke flavor on the meat - is this necessary?  I'm frankly not savvy enough to use water for temperature management, though I understand the concept.  
    i know that the black stuff in a drop pan looks burnt, but it is really home made charcoal.  yes, yes, burnt, but not in a flaming smokey horrible sense that imparts bitterness to the food.

this is all speculation (i mean, it looks ominous, burnt stuff in a pan), but it really doesn't result in the negative flavors we all think.

for one thing, even if it DID burn, what is it that is burning? sugars, proteins, etc.   the same stuff that blackens on the corners of our steaks or gives us grill marks.

much ado about nothing

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    gdenby said:

This. 

i know that the black stuff in a drop pan looks burnt, but it is really home made charcoal.  yes, yes, burnt, but not in a flaming smokey horrible sense that imparts bitterness to the food.

this is all speculation (i mean, it looks ominous, burnt stuff in a pan), but it really doesn't result in the negative flavors we all think.

for one thing, even if it DID burn, what is it that is burning? sugars, proteins, etc.   the same stuff that blackens on the corners of our steaks or gives us grill marks.

much ado about nothing
    Excellent info!  Thank you, Darby! 
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Use a paper towel for grip when pulling the membrane off. Makes it very easy to pull off.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I just did 2 racks straight thru for 4 hours at 250 degrees. They were fall off the bone tender.

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    spares? no way they could be spares... unless something is wacky.  250 grate temp?

• LRW
    edited May 2016
    Options
    250 dome and they were spares.

My Foodtography

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    mine have been on four hours at 300, and they aren't even close, including the trimmings.

yours are raised, which is hotter in the upper dome, but still, something is off.

falling off the bone is a rib cooked well past the 'pull' level of doneness. 

i have a hard time believing it's truly 250 in four hours.

heck,loin backs done with a braise step are barely done in four hours.
    not saying i disagree with you.  just say it has never happened in my experience, and i have never seen it happen in maybe close to a dozen years here.  not unless a thermo reading was off

• LRW
    Options
    I will have to calibrate my thermometer haven't done that recently.
    My Foodtography